A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: hotspots using SWISH?

hotspots using SWISH?

Hey Everyone!

I have a graphic (it's a web page that I exported as a .png file) that I want to create various mouseover effects for diffent sections of. So, when the mouse rolls over 1 section, text appears on the page, mouseover another section and a pic with title appears, etc.

Is there a way to do this using swish? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    - Rob

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Hi,
    create an object the size of your 'hotspot', modify convert to button.

Open the resultant button,
    in the upstate -
    1)give the object there 'no fill' and no 'outline'

in the over state -
    2)type the text that you want to display when a user mouses over your hotspot.
    3)Add any images you want to show to this state also.

in the down state -

in the hit state -
    1)leave it alone unless you want to re-size the 'hotspot'. It is invisible.

cheers,
    david p.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Hi David,

Thanks for your help - I think I just about have it!

The one thing I can't figure out is - where do I type the text I want to display and how do I add an image to a "state"? Is this done under the "action" tab?

Could you just point the way - I'll figure it out eventually with a little direction

I haven't been able to find any books on Swish!

Thanks again for your help!
    - Rob

When you create a button, you should immediately see the 4 states David mentioned. If not, expand the button (Click the '+' next to it) and yuou should now have Up, Over, Down and Hit. The 1st 3 states have a copy of the image you converted to button, teh hit state is a rectangle that defines the hover/hit area of the button called a 'Hit Rectangle'.

If your button is blue and you want it to turn red when the mouse is over it, change the color of the button in the Over state only. You can add other shapes, pictures, text, whatever you want to the state and position them on the stage wherever you want them to appear.

If you create a sprite in the Over state, or convert the shape to a sprite, it will play when you move your mouse over the button. By using a sprite, you can animate the objects on a seperate timeline from the movie.

Hope this helps!
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

Hi DR -

Thanks for the help!

Now - I'm sorta getting this, but another question if you have a minute?

I got the button info down pretty good. Now I have a "hotspot" in my movie. With the "Button" selected, I go to "action" add "rollover" and then add "event". From "event" am I right that there are multiple ways to have stuff happen?

I created another scene and that is what I want the rolloever to trigger - to play scene 2. I've tried savings this scene as a movie, converted to an html file and chose "load movie" as my event - didn't work - on rollover the screen jut blanked. I also converted "scene 2" into a sprite and tried several different to get that to play over my original movie (this is want to do!) but I think I'm missing a step somewhere.

Is there some detailed documentation on the use of Sprites & Targets? These are the areas I think I need the most help in!

Thank you again for your help!
    - Rob

A good place to learn is www.swish-tutorials.com

As for moving to scene 2, if you don't have to load it as a second movie - don't It's easier to manage if it's in 1 movie. If the scenes are large and you want to break them up, I would recommend loading the movie into a sprite for full control, or you could load the movie into level 0, which is the same as changing scenes.

It sounds as though your 1st movie cannot find the second movie. Are they both in the same directory? Are they both uploaded? (it sounds simple, but it happens) Is movie1 calling the correct movie2? (Is it misspelled)

Try testing it locally in the Flash player. If it works, you'll know it's a problem after the files are uploaded. Browse your web server and see if the movies are there. If it won't work in the player, the problem is in the movie.

Hope this helps!
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

Hi DR!

I'm not sure what I did - but it started working after I inserted a "stop" somewhere.

I'd be more specific, but swish keeps shutting down on me and I haven't been able to keep it open for more than a couple of minutes - everytime I insert a graphic, well, usually 2 or 3, the app shuts down.

All your help helps!

Going to post this bug on the mainboard and check out those tutorials!

Thanks again!
    - Rob