A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: download count

download count

i have some real media files on my site and i was wondering if you can count the times that the file has been downloaded. i know nothing of php or anythig like that so be warned

tx in advance

I would have to advise asking in the Scripting and Backend forum :
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/forumd...une=&forumid=4

You won't be able to do it in SWiSH alone (if your downloads are linked from a SWF file) - but it could be done using a Flash plugin file)... In fact, I may be able to provide you with something in the very near future ... I will let you know asap.

Good Luck,
    Brian

I'm sure there is a more effecient way, but if no one else throws out a better answer you can try this.

List all the files for download on a page with links for download. When the user clicks a particular file have it link to a page that says click here to begin download. Then track that page with tracking software or even a hidden hit counter. It won't be totally accurate (if someone gets to that page and changes their mind) but it should give a general idea. For some good pearl scripts visit http://www.perlarchive.com/index.shtml most are easy to install and come with good documentation. If you search the site you might even find one that does exactly what you want, but I know there are several hit counters and page tracking scripts there. I have never placed content for download, but I'd be willing to bet if your server offers log files they might track downloads as well.

That was sorta my thoughts ...

I have hit-counter plugins on my site - and they could easily be modified to count via a Button press (but I'd have to do it in the .FLA)

It would require a server with PHP and ability to CHMOD a .TXT file to 777 ... Of course, I would provide instructions

Cheers,
    Brian

i have php support on my server but the problem is that the links to the *.rm files are build in inside the *.swf file (3 links in 1 swf file to be exact), and the idea is to track the 3 files induvidual so i can get an idea witch is popular. thank you for your o so quick reply also

There was one flaw in my thinking ...

A Flash plugin would require a button of some sort .. and you would still need the button to link to the .RM file ... and you cannot have two buttons on top of each other (one will not work properly). So, my idea wouldn't work.

I'll keep thinking about it though, as I've wanted something like this too ... It's easy to do completely in Flash - but, if you aren't familiar with actionscripting, it would seem foreign

Brian

no experience with it but i learn quick

im gonna try to load an html page for each link and use a visitor counter to keep track for now.

the url for the site is:

http://www.pengo.be.tf

just tought that maybe it would help if you see it.
    Last edited by pengo; 01-17-2003 at 07:48 AM.

an idea...

hi there. i was thinking that maybe if there was a way you could load the number "0" from a .txt file into a variable in the .fla file you're working with and everytime that button is push you could add 1 to that number and have flash write the new number back down into that text. i dont know exactly how to code this, actually, one of my questions is how i could write information to a .txt file using flash variables. hopes this makes sense and/or is of any help.

regards