A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash layer is covering up javascript layer! how do i change it?

flash layer is covering up javascript layer! how do i change it?

I made a flash movie in swish and put it in the main portion of my website. I have a javascript portion of my menus that normally goes out over this area, but now the flash movie covers up that javascript menu. Can i somehow specify the layer of the swish file or is there any other solution to the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Please reference http://www.ncsucrusade.com/ Go to any links in it to see how the menu should properly be viewed.

Your best solution would have been to create your menu inside Swish with your main movie....
    Even if you selected to export your movie as transparent the menu would still be under the text. Export Panel --Export as movie and tick use as a movie clip--Did the java site offer any suggestion for this.. Seems like it should have been addressed. Whats their web site--??????????????????????
    Best Wishes, ~~~~
    RGuy1

After going through the html pages where the menu displayed correctly
    --I think i would just create the menu on the main page in Swish--It shouldn't be hard to duplicate.
    Best Wishes, ~~~~
    RGuy1

The combination of layers and embedded objects (like a Flashplayer) can be messy... and in some cases impossible. I'll give you the rundown on what's going on here.

First, if you don't already understand how layers and z-index work, jump over to www.dhtmlcentral.com and start reading. These will be key concepts in what I'm about to explain.

The first problem you've got going is that you're mixing layers and tables, which in general is a bad practice and tends to create layout problems for the various browsers out there. As a rule of thumb, I do my layout in all tables, or all layers. If you need to use a table in a page that contains layers, put the table IN a layer.

Now for the z-index part....

The popup menus you are using rely on dynamic layers to show and hide the submenus. If you want them to show over the .swf, the menu layers will need to be at a higher z-index than the layer with the .swf

You will also need to add the following to the embed code for the .swf

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

With your .swf set to transparent, and the menu layer z-index set higher than the layer with your .swf, you will be able to see the menu over the .swf......but only in IE4 or higher.

This method won't work in netscape, because netscape doesn't support transparent mode for the Flashplayer (version 6 might, but I've never tested it).

When all's said and done, I'd suggest you go with rhellstroms's idea of making the menu in swish. Trying to get this to work as it is will likely be more headache for you than it's worth.

Hope it helps.

Add the following attribute to the EMBED tag:

wmode="transparent"

hope this helps.

wow @ rrawwbb

this is 5 and a half years old....

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    ...yes - it helps to check out the date ot the topic before responding

wolf

The idea was to place an answer that worked into search results that did not. Date of origin was not a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by rrawwbb
    Add the following attribute to the EMBED tag:

wmode="transparent"

hope this helps.
    thanks very much..
    this solved my problem

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">, worked a treat. Heads up to rrawwbb for re-awakening the post. Thanks!!!