A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash intergrating into applications

Flash intergrating into applications

Hi guys, I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to. I work for a software company and I'm wondering if we can intergrate flash objects into the actual software. We write 2 different apps, one in Microsoft Access and the other I believe is in visual basic (using .net architicture) I don't know if any of that makes sense because I'm not a programer. The initial goal is to use .swf files for icons instead of .ico. If we get good results we will be experimenting more and more. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Also we will be embedding the flash player into the program if we get it figured out.

Thanks in advance

should be able to do it, the only problem with flash is that you have to use the fscommand, otherwise you have to pass variables through html. the thing is I have had trouble sending variables with the fscommand and getting back, but i think if you embed the swf into your vb code, it could be done.... Don't have alot of experience in that field, maybe you should try figleaf
    s mailing list, the guys know what's going on there
    www.subman.co.za Recently Launched

As for the ico thing I'm not sure it that can be done. I cooked up a small program in vb6 a while back that had a flash file embedded in it. There's a component that you have to put in. I think it's listed under shockwave/flash. I couldn't get the fscommand to pass variables so I abandoned the project. Sorry for the lack of details, was a few months ago and I don't remember exactly what I had to do. If you want more info I'll check out the program when I get home and let you know what I did.
    Quinn

Unfortunately (and I say that from bad experiences), I created a project a while back using Flash 5 and VB6. We used Flash as the frontend and VB6 to do all the work with the file system, xml, financial calculations, etc and flash was the dummy on top that made it look nice.

You can communicate back and forth between a vb app and flash using things, like SetVariable, GetVariable and the FSCommand Event.

Be warned though, you're not in for a fun time...it's pretty horrible and a pain to manage and update (FYI: that entire program was converted to a VB.NET WindowsForms app that at first used Flash for the menu system and everything else was .NET, but within the month or so into the project Flash was dropped completely from it )

Microsoft .NET MVP