A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: TF Larry: Reinstatement, finally completed!

TF Larry: Reinstatement, finally completed!

Everyone,
    I have the most wonderful news to share! My game is finally completed! I started it back in March and worked on it on and off since then, totalling up to about 130 hours of work. I got alot of help from you guys, so I thought you'd like to see the final product. I most certainly did give credit to all of you in the credits. I hope you enjoy it

TF Larry: Reinstatement [936 Kb]

Features:
    - a full story line
    - over 40 rooms to explore
    - real-time health, ammo, and scoring
    - ammo and health upgrades
    - over 5 minutes of cutscenes
    - trademark enemies and sounds from the Team Fortress franchise
    - oodles of secrets and easter eggs to discover

FYI: This game is based after my TF Larry series of comics, which are based after the Team Fortress franchise.

- OneMrBean
    Last edited by OneMrBean; 01-25-2003 at 11:57 PM.

dont let the man drag you down skate_boarder_43's Avatar
    Still downloading. How big is the file?

It's 900 kb. I tried my best to compress the images and all the sounds. I set a personal limit from the get-go of 1 Mb. Looks like I predicted it pretty closely. Anyway, the mini-game was built specifically for the 56kers out there (and heaven for bid the anything-lower-kers) to have something to do while waiting. Sorry for the long wait. The server may have maxed out in bandwidth, too (although I doubt my game would generate thousands of people simultaneously).

For those who have played, what do you think?

- OneMrBean

Too hard! I could only make it to the second sniper with the conveyor belts. Other then that it's a really great game.

Fruitloops,
    Glad to hear you at least got past the HFD (the metal robot thingy on the train track). Alot of people haven't been able to get past that part. As for the sniper, have you tried killing him, as opposed to running away from his dot of death? It takes only 15 bullets or so to kill him, leaving only the belts to worry about. Hope that helps you out

- OneMrBean

it's hard to shoot at things in only four directions when they can shoot at you from more then 360 different angles...
    - Lukstr

Managed to get into the room with the two large fans but I kept dying for some reason???

I think you should add some sort of passcode for each checkpoint - I'd love to go back and play from where I left off but I really don't wanna go through all the 20 odd screens it took to get that far!

It's cheesy, but addictive!

(also, I agree with the comment about only being able to shoot in 4 directions - it wouldn't be that hard to impliment 360 turning)

Ok, managed to get out of that room (the collision detection is extremely tight in that room) and completed the game.

What a hoot.

Great game!

I've been playing it for ages. I just can't seem to get past the last boss fight,when you get onto the third screen.

Again, well done. It's really cool

its really good! i can tell you put alot of work into it!

i got outside the vents but died after i got to the sniper guy. still trying though
    Last edited by skate342; 01-26-2003 at 12:13 PM.

great game! I like the cutscenes too. I got to the second sniper guy, i'll have to play again later

incredibulus-actionscriptum magnetos's Avatar
    its pretty cool although sometimes the perspective is a little weird for example those metal fences why are they tilted?
    also it will be nice if you have the option to skip the cut scenes once you have already seen it

still the size of the game is kind of too big perhaps you
    should have different swf for each level making sure that you cant go to the next level unless the level is loaded

you could keep the player busy with enemies coming down at him while the levels are loading
    then you unluck the doors

the graphics are cool but might be inprooved a little

overall its a great game good work

Lukstr,
    I thought through this problem many times, and had this end result. I figure that since it takes you 10 bullets or so to blow up anything, then you should be restricted to just the 4 directions (360 rotation would also ruin some of the puzzles in the game). Also, the enemies need about 30 bullets to completely kill you (with a slow firing rate, mind you), so I left them with their 360 rotation.

Gambini,
    There is infact a way to skip to any checkpoint you want. It's one of my many secrets I put in the game. I might as well spill the beans so you all can have more fun with it.
    Start the game. Go to the third room (where you must walk under the crate, heading north). Go under the crate, but don't exit. Instead, go right (to the top-right corner of the room) and then down, to make a crate move. An arrow should be revealed, pointing in the bottom-left corner. Go back to the door that you came in, and walk down (in other words, go the extreme bottom-left corner of the room). If done correctly, you should be at my ingenius level warp. I hope you all enjoy

Magnetos,
    The metal fences are tilted because they are all the same gif images. I just skewed and resized them all to fit in each room (the main reason for gif and not vector is that some rooms would scroll very slowly with so many fences on screen. plus I knew gif's usually scroll nicely compared to vectors)
    You CAN skip every cutscene. When each cutscene starts, it says in the bottom-right corner, "Press S to skip", which then fades out to make the cinematic more... uh... cinematic. However, you can press "S" at any time to skip the given cutscene

Everyone,
    Thanks so much for all of your feedback. This is my first big game that I've done, and it's great to see so many people like it. As the days go by, I'll keep revealing more secrets, so you all can get even more enjoyment out of it.
    For now, try to solve the secret in the statue room (right before the boss). Now would be a good time to use the level warp mentioned above. I'll be back later to tell you all what's up with that rotating statue.

Till then,
    - OneMrBean

Alright, I revealed the level warp secret (see my post above), which allows you to go to any checkpoint in the game. Knowing that, let me reveal the secret of the statue room.

In the statue room, there is a statue that rotates towards you. Stand precisely to the left of it, then click it (with the cursor). Your health, no matter what it is, will be bumped up (or down) to 150, giving you a better chance against the boss.

Stay tuned for more secrets, including "ammo refill" and "view any cinematic".

Have fun, everyone.

- OneMrBean

I think you need a preloader on there! I waited a few minutes before getting bored because I didn't know how long there was left to load.
    Mark Hardisty
    Red7 Design
    ========================================
    Red7 Design
    Starsky and Hutch
    ========================================

that was pretty fun. but having to shoot things 10-15 times was really annoying, and the graphics could do with some more work, but theyre not too bad. overall 7 out of 10

I got a highscore of 91 on the minigame. I attached an image of it, but I think there should be an option to have the minigame stopped. Since some computers arent's that fast all those eplosions kind of slowed mine down a little.

Congratulations on the highscore! 91 isn't too bad. Nope. Not bad at all. I guess I'll share my highscores for both the minigame and actual game.

Minigame Highscore: 417
    Actual Game Highscore: 26,890

I know these may seem preposterous, but keep in mind I've played both an accumulated 500 times or so to find and fix bugs, glitches, etc. As for the minigame, I was simply bored. Too bad the site that hosts my game doesn't support dynamic content, otherwise I'd have high score tables up there in a jiffy.

Happy fragging!
    - OneMrBean