A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Question with buttons.

Question with buttons.

Ok, im very new. I know how to make buttons have a action when you rollover them, but how do I make it so they will have a action when they roll out of them?

Like im trying to make a button play a movie clip when it rolls out? How do I do this? Thanx.

on (rollOut) {
    //do something
    }

Ok, but on the //do something, how would I call a movie clip?

I just figured out how to do this this! (I'm a major newbie as well) Make a button and on the over part, turn it into a symbol (movie clip). Open up that symbol and make a new layer for your movie you want playing while the cursor is over the button. Then just create your movie like normal. If you already have a movie created, make a NEW symbol on the new layer that looks exactly like layer 1. (I suggest just copying the frame). Open up the new symbol on layer 2 and stick your movie in it. Now you can dictate how long you want the movie to play, how big it should be, etc...all within the new symbol. It makes things easier since if you imported the movie it will all be in keyframes.

Anyway, hoped that helped. I'm not any good with actionscripting so i don't know if this is easier or harder than previous comments. I just try to work with what Flash MX gives me and avoid actionscript altogether until I finally have to break down and learn it. =)

The explanation may seem complicated but just try it out...don't follow word for word if you don't have to. Just stick symbols in there and it should work out fine. You'll figure it out on your own I'm sure. I did just five minutes ago.

- David

on (rollOver) {
    attachMovie("MCname","MCname",1);
    }

on (rollOut) {
    unloadMovie("MCname","MCname",1);
    }

be sure that you check "Export for ActionScript" when you create the MC...

Banned

Ummmmmmm

If nothing else, the above will surely generate more questions...

Well maybe actionscript doesn't make any sense to those of us who have no programming experience. Sheeeesh. Anyway, symbols and what not seem to work for me. I really ought to figure out how to use actionscript sometime though...seems all the posts include that in their answers. sigh*

The other answers do seem a bit less complicated though. =)

Well, we all need to get a book & look up our questions before going to FK...I learned most of what I know from books, & a class I took...the simple stuff like buttons can be found in Flash's Help section...

Banned
    I don't agree about the book stuff personnally! Never opened a Flash one in my life! Looking up tutorials, modifying them and ripping apart other .flas is my way to go!

And I wasn't referring to you Daveeyboy, although your answer is a bit confusing. I was referring to my good old friend Mraspiller, who dares propose an "attach movie" script to someone who does not yet know how to accomplish something like a simple rollOut action.
    I was presuming, that without further explanations, that would be a little over Clownmoun's head, to say the least.