A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Digital Photography for a client

President and CEO of nothing.

Digital Photography for a client

Good evening everyone,

I recently did a fairly simple promotional design for a company I do business with. I took a bunch of shots of the product but finally decided to focus on one that was taken from a bit of an obscure angle. The boss loved it and everything was great, she now has a story about the business going in the paper and she asked me to send over the shots of her product together and such. Now aside from the whole debate over "fla's and photo negatives" and the time it took to clean up the photos, should there be an extra charge for simply taking the photographs and give them too her, now that she can use any of them?

Thanks for any input you fine folks can give me,
    .aaroncrunchie
    One day my ship will come in and I'll be at the airport.

what did you state in your contract? Did you state pictures were included, did you state if there was a per-use fee for flas,swfs, or pictures? If not then my guess it was assumed that they were paying for everything...Be very very specific in your contracts.

Hahah I can't wait to get flamed

You see the beauty of this situation is that I do data entry and other stuff for her for $X an hour. I work contract, without a contract. I've been working for her for about a year now and I always get paid promptly. I gave her a pretty good deal on the layout for the design I made for her and it only used two of the photos I took.

Thanks,
    .aaroncrunchie

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    If it's a client you do a lot of work for - give her the photos. If the newspaper article does wonders for the business, she will have you to thank. That could translate into more money. At this point, you've already done the work. If you just sit on it, what good does it do you?

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by Eyenovation
    If it's a client you do a lot of work for - give her the photos. If the newspaper article does wonders for the business, she will have you to thank. That could translate into more money. At this point, you've already done the work. If you just sit on it, what good does it do you?
    I second this motion.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Thanks for the insight folks, as always - appreciated.

.aaroncrunchie

Ambassador of Style
    Absolutely. Give this one away. Use it as a chance to sell your photography abilities in the future. From now on, simply state that all photography (if used) will cost "x" for ownership rights and is NOT included in the hourly development rate.