A Flash Developer Resource Site

View Poll Results: Which is the best vector program?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Illustrator

3 75.00%
  • Freehand

0 0%
  • I dont use either/Vectors what? who? I didnt do anything! I sware!

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illustrator vs. Freehand -- Which is better? *input requested!*

Illustrator vs. Freehand -- Which is better? *input requested!*

Hey all,
    its been a while since i have logged in, but anyways..

Im getting back into Flash, and i have come to the conclusion
    that i need to learn how to do vector graphics. From what i
    undersand the best programs to use with flash are Illustrator
    and of course, FreeHand.

What is best to use with Flash? What is easiest to use? Which
    has the most capabilities? Anyone have opinions, comments,
    questions? Im needing help here.. Gotta know what i should get.

Thanks!

Having ried both, I would not like to use freehand again. Illustrator does it fo me everytime. Freehand is too 'messy', somehow Illustrator seems more straightforward, and its easier to get used to.

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    It's more about preference really.

Personally, I prefer Illustrator, and haven't had any programs in trying to import Illustrator vectors into Flash. They are NOT the best programs to use with Flash, as it all depends on what you are planning to do, namely vector based drawings/illustrations.

Though, as I have heard from many designers, the learning curve in Illustrator tends to be steeper than in Freehand, but I cannot verify that myself.

However, I can say it's a lot easier to find up-to-date and innovative tutorials regarding Illustrator over Freehand. Morever, Illustrator is widely available, which is a plus when you need to print stuff last minute at your local Kinkos, whereas Freehand tends to get the shaft.

But I insist that you read up in the forums on Adobe and Macromedia, and you'll see both sides of the story. I actually found some argument from the Macromedia side quite convincing.

<<< Hopefully less of an a**.

i am an Illustrator man myself, i can use freehand and have a free computer arts version but i never installed it at home, i suppose its just what u get use to

it might be slightly better when exporting vector to flash ??

i will never know

finky fonk
    I use illustrator and occasionaly freehand. I would presume there would be more compatability with freehand and flash but i never have had a problem with importing my exported illustrator SWF's into flash.

As has been said there is a lot more info on the web for illustrator and it is an "industry standard" but i have a few friends who swear by freehand - i reckon its what you are used to.....a bit like the mac vs pc debate....
    http://www.20three.com

Hands down, Freehand.

It is all about what you are used to, but Freehand and Flash were made for each other (at least from v9 on.) - I hate illustrator, but like I said, it is what you are used to.

If illustrator was made by anyone other than Adobe, I would **** on it. Photoshop is the God of all programs. There you have it.

FrequeNC

PS Corel Draw sucks a phat Dilznick...

finky fonk
    .....i agree that there should be greater compatibility between flash and freehand as thay are both made by the same company, but as i said before i have never had a problem with importing (or just cutting and pasting ) from illustrator to flash ....hands down, illustrator is the daddy.

My opinion to someone starting out with a vector package would be - illustrator, its the daddy!. been around for an age, loads of help on the web and its still seen as the industry standard. Maybe freehand will catch up but my dealings as an illustrator/print designer, i find most people in the industry use illustrator. I know this argument is not about which is better, more about what is prevalent at the moment....but thats the way the industry works. Live motion is probably a really good program but will the internet at large ever prefer it over flash?

finky

You reckon that Freehand and Flash could be more compatible?

I use Freehand 10 - You can convert things to symbols, set up your library, and even export your layers as a swf. How could it get more compatible?

I agree that this topic is not what is better. It would be easy to turn it into that, people have a habit of getting personal with things that are held close to them, and the software that you use on a daily basis is a close subject.

Adobe makes the best program that exists. Photoshop - And Illustrators compatibility with that is a plus, but if you save documents in Freehand as an eps, you can open them directly in PS as well.

My vote is for Freehand.

FrequeNC

i agree that illustrator is the better...
    however, xarax is pretty sweet too...

What up Jason Pratt. I just followed your last post on the Business Card issue.

What is Xarax? I have heard of Xara 3D. How do I vote on the poll at the top?

I have got to say that Macromedia makes only top shelf products:
    Cold Fusion, Dreamweaver, Freehand, and last but not least Flash. What other Tools do you need to author a site (other than the given Photoshop...) I don't hate illustrator, I just dislike it a lot...

FrequeNC
    :::::::::::
    Freehand Rules!

finky fonk
    I agree that freehand will be more compatible with flash, and maybe it is a "better" program, but all those designers (maybe more print than web) who were using illustrator before the days of macromedia and freehand will need a lot of convincing to swap!

ok fink, I will agree with that. If you have been using Illustrator for the last 5+ years, you wouldn't want to swap. I have been using Freehand for almost that long, and I would not use Illus. as my design tool, no matter what it did, so that is a fair call. I am more a web designer than a print guy (even though that is how I started) my point is that I see your point (and raise you a chip ha ha) Let me see if anyone will follow me into a new topic based on this idea - The topic will be called "Print vs. Web". Come get some!

I have tried both and am still stuck with CorelDraw ( using Version 9 out of habbit and having 10 installed as well )... I am working on a PC though - no idea what the mac version of CorelDraw is like...

Ever so often I check out the 30 day trials of freehand and illustrator and to me they lack in ease of use... Some essential tools like making all knots to kurves and manipulating all curves in a shape at the same time are missing - and I use those all the time...
    I am quiet happy with the export functions to Flash and bitmap as well and like the tools coming with the package... The trace prog. gives me better results than streamline... and the bitmap tool works fine with me - it might lack a few features offered in photoshop but it comes with the deal - no extra prog. to buy...

There are some down sides - mainly when it comes to print and multicolour seperations - Corel has a weird way to process colours... but with a little bit of experience you can work your way around those problems...

It's two thumbs down for illustrator and freehand...

two thumbs up for Corel. Way up (the arse!! )
    I have to say, I was force fed all three programs in design school. I am not a fan of illustrator, but I HATE Corel draw.

Personal opinion mate.

FrequeNC
    www.theartofevolution.com

Were you working on Mac or PC ???

Maybe I am just getting blinded by habbit... I have been using Corel since version 3 and could do the things that needed to be done... and these days it's more a matter a speed that of program abilities... How can I get my work done the quickest...

I will have another look at illustrator... if I find some time...

I have been using Freehand since version 7. Same with Illustrator, I am sure a lot has changed since you used them.

I don't use illustrator, *unless someone gives me an illustrator file that I need to change formats

but, what I dig the most about freehand (besides the fact that I am used to it) is it's compatability with flash. Like I said in an earlier post - converting your graphics to symbols, Setting up your library so you can import it directly into flash, , and even exporting to swf format - they were made for each other.

If you can get the job done, it doesn't matter if you use friggin Joe Blows vector magic... whatever, (for the web anyways, to be safe in print, stick to the big boys, but I am preaching to the converted here aren't I.

FrequeNC

I had to work with freehand 10 lately for a client working in a mac network... simple little illustrations... no big deal... but the deadline was very tight...
    In the end I got my laptop out... and ran Corel... did the illus and converted them to freehand from there...

It's not a matter of programs to me... It's a matter of time and meeting deadlines... I get called when things need to get done quick due to clients changing their minds or agencies leaving things to the last minute...

I will spend some time looking into freehand 10 when I got some spare time on a rainy day...

Yeah, it is however you can be most productive.

FrequeNC

freehand p's me off, when i draw stuff its all jagged, yet when i draw it in illustrator its nice and smooth, so im like f**k it, cant be bothered with freehand.

one question though - in freehand you have master pages, what are they called in illustrator? i want to look in the help manual how to do them but they must be called something else in illustrator.

scsa
    Last edited by Black_phoenix; 02-11-2003 at 11:02 PM.
    my way or the high way

I never have that problem.

FrequeNC