A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business card design

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar

Business card design

Business Card Please check out my new business card and let me have some opinions on them before I spend money sending them to print...

Working on website to match... going for a sort of retro - modern space race look.

hard to really see it since its so big, but i dont think the type will turn out very well on such a small scale. same with the graphics on the header, they will all run together in a smaller one.

too much info and take out the quote on the bottom. thats for what u say when u meet them and as ur giving them ur card.
    maybe.

finky fonk
    ...i agree with No-Tec...use a friendly font!
    http://www.20three.com

Agreed. Bad font selection, but good look otherwise.

definitely way too much detail in the graphics there, it will be lost and look confused. Think texture rather than detail on this scale.

You sure Av? Looks okay to me. I guess I'm having trouble picturing it much smaller.

keep it simple

Whatever u do, keep it simple.

a crowded card can be unproffesional, but a plain looking card makes it look like your having a hard enough time paying your rent! The font may need to be made a little bigger, strip down the content to the bare minimum. Put on the card what you want people to see right away, no one likes to scan around a business card looking for information.

I nice effect for your text would be a nice glossed black emboss, but only on the text u want to stand out the most.

remember keep it simple, but also remember, every one likes to see a clever way of taking something ordinary and making it extraordinary!

oh and hey, if u really cant stand losing all of ur info, have u ever thought of making it 2 sided?

Forget about it. The card looks great. I would definetely keep the graphics - they are not too much ,they add a bit of depth to the card - visual appeal - as for the quote on the bottom - I agree with homeboy earlier - talk your business up first - leave the business card as a reminder. don't include cheesy sayings on your card. Your card is an extension of you, not the other way around. I am having trouble picturing it smaller too, but here is my rule, and what I would advise for your card. Keep the font that is included in your header graphic - "Matt Bastian.com - space age online presence and promotion" everything else - Helvetica Neue - If you don't have that -Arial caps looks almost the same (Combination Plain and Bold)- 6 point smallest - 8 point biggest - 7 - Sorry to **** with your image -but to give you an idea of what I am talking about in one word, simplify.

Here is the attachment, it didn't get attached to the last post.

Again, sorry if I shouldn't have ****ed with your image. Let me know..

Freq
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by FrequeNC
    Here is the attachment, it didn't get attached to the last post.

Again, sorry if I shouldn't have ****ed with your image. Let me know..

Freq
    I like this card.

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    Do not use that typeface, your url looks like it says mastabation...

If you are under the age of 18, do not click the link above...

I didn't check the URL before I input it.

I think that people get carried away with fonts. Fonts are good - I have a typography fetish, but people get carried away...

Freq

Sorry about the masturbation link

If you are under the age of 18, do not click the link above...

I didn't check the URL before I input it.

I think that people get carried away with fonts. Fonts are good - I have a typography fetish, but people get carried away...

Freq

Sorry about the masturbation link
    I suggest that you quickly edit that post and check delete at the top of the edit screen. Otherwise a mod will do it and you'll be scolded. Quick. Hurry!

Thanks GD - Good call.

Freq

k, I haven't read many of the peoples comments here...but...is it just me or when put together, does matbastin or whatever (sorry if its the wrong spelling) look sorta like masturbation? sorry if its just me or I've got a sick mind!

anyway. I would recommend you change you're font...and the graphics for that matter. why? well coz you're designing a business card with impact. You're not designing poster that captivates...know what I mean? with an ad...sure everything that you do is most probably alrightish...but with a business card, you want information short sharp and bang! before the person knows it...they know who you are, what you do and how to contact you. Graphics is really only to enhance the look of it, to keep it attractive.

The other thing why I would recommend you change the graphics is because, though it looks nice and everything...the cost of printing those would probably cost you and arm and a leg because of the colours. 2 - 4 flat colours would probably cost you heaps less than if you went for the a whole complex blur around your artwork with colours fading in and out etc etc. remember when designing a business card, you're designing background stuff that should REAMIN in the background and NOT overtake or grab the attention OVER the actual information you want to communicate.

anyway, thats just my opinion anyway.
    cheers mate.

I hear what your saying chew... but I disagree. I dig the card. Everyone has there own opinion, and a differnent opinion when it comes to design. But in my opinion, AS LONG AS the information is clear, the graphics are great. If they compete with the info, then there is a problem and the design needs to be rethought. The graphics on that card do not compete with the information, and it shows a bit of mat's style. I dig it, and yes chewman, you have a dirty mind... ha ha ha ha....

I hear what your saying chew... but I disagree. I dig the card. Everyone has there own opinion, and a differnent opinion when it comes to design. But in my opinion, AS LONG AS the information is clear, the graphics are great. If they compete with the info, then there is a problem and the design needs to be rethought. The graphics on that card do not compete with the information, and it shows a bit of mat's style. I dig it, and yes chewman, you have a dirty mind... ha ha ha ha....
    hey mate
    haha dirty mind...yeah probably..but its only coz it looked SOOO much like it!

anyway...yeah everyone does have their own opinion. I think you dont realise it but agree more than you disagree If that makes sense - could always be wrong. you say: as long as the the info is clear, the graphics are great. dont get me wrong...I think the graphics are nice yeah...but the info when shrunk down to card size is not cleraly legible.
    LOOK
    compared to yours (the one you redesigned), it isn't crystal clear what is what....correct? now..tell me...why did you change his original design and redesign it? I reckon because its a helluva lot clearer to get the info without changing the graphics. And yes, you did a good job of it (and I prefer it over the original)...why? coz I can understand..ok...yep, thats his name...his phone number (although you could have stated that it was his phone number), yep thats hist addy and his URL.

You need to understand the flow or information here. Heirachy is what they call it in design terms (but works for everyday terms also). anyway...when I look at the first image, I look at the large graphics first (thats ok coz thats what captures attention)...but (and heres the difference)...I WANT to look at the information next...but I'm confused as to which one I should look at first...and so I progress to the bottom info first because more of the weight is held there...then I go up to his detials. That may sound better than it actually is. Sure thats the way some may want the end user to progress, leaving them reading their details last.

Compared to the bottom image however, you still do look at the top image (only coz its got more weight there), but its easier to go down to the bottom info of his name etc etc. You could probably even add 'Web/Multimedia Developer' as a title of some sort (but thats optional). The other reason why I think the bottom image works, is because of the font chosen. Sure its the same old thing, sans serif...but it works doesn't it? Its a lot clearer to read. NOw I'm not confused as to what info to read...why? coz there isn't much to choose from (hence making it easier to grab the info). Later on, like a subnote or a PS I look and understand what he does; web design, development, promotino, print media.

Anyway...thats enough for me.
    cheers mate

I hear what you are saying chew. I do agree with you that the information needs to be clear. Obviously the final design is up to mat bastian. I redesigned it quickly just to show that a sans serif typeface would be easier to read and display his information.

I think we are on the same page.

Freq

I think we are on the same page.

Freq
    no to mention the same country!!! :P you're up in sunshine though...I'm down here in Victoria.

but it has been raining for the last week straight.

FrequeNC