A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: The Grand Multiplayer Thread

Does anyone know any free Socket Servers that do NOT use XML? Ever since as3.0 enabled the use of simple sockets that can send/receive custom data, including binary, I feel dirty and slow using XML...too big of an overhead...

Anyone?

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by colinmoock View Post
    just for the fun of posting to a thread that's been alive for 6 years, here's a little news: the "unity" project never actually died. in fact, it has evolved significantly, and been reborn as "Union". see www.unionplatform.com. happy (multiuser) coding!
    Colin, I took a look at your site and was very impressed.
    I will be trying it out soon.

I saw that it is sending messages (in UPC protocol) which are basically XML files.

Is this able to handle sending and receiving of binary files? (e.g. storing a personal avatar image)

Thanks for the bump. I had missed this post about union to. It looks very well designed and the learning paths seems very smooth.
    I'll probably give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Pazil View Post
    Does anyone know any free Socket Servers that do NOT use XML? Ever since as3.0 enabled the use of simple sockets that can send/receive custom data, including binary, I feel dirty and slow using XML...too big of an overhead...

Anyone?
    I've written a PHP5/AS3 socket server called FlashMOG. By default it uses AMF3 serialization which is binary and fairly compact. I've written a server setup tutorial which explains how to set up a server at rackspace.com (starting at around $11 per month) and a 2-person shooter tutorial. You could probably do both tutorials in an afternoon.

The code is open source under GNU license. Free as in air.
    Write multiplayer games with FlashMOG 0.3.1
    Try the MyPlan Salary Calculator