A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: open a popup w/ new clip within flash

open a popup w/ new clip within flash

Hi there,

I'm looking for a line or two of script which I can attach to a button in a movie clip and which will launch a controlled-size popup window with a new flash movie clip in it.

I had a script I was using and it launches the popup fine, but then the clip behind the new window goes blank! Which sucks!

Any help really appreciated. Also let me know if anyone's interested in a bit of programming. I have a job coming up. Thanks,

Necia

nobody
    Did you use a function in javascript for a popup and called it from flash? It works fine. Maybe you used the wholt javascript with getURL command? Not good

What kind of project? For what period of time? I'm available till the end of february in evening hours and in the morning (CET).

My past projects:

www.skinnaturals.com,
    www.mojaferia.com
    www.mg-lj.si...
    kra, kra

javascript

Well, here's the code my programmer inserted in. And yeah, it sucks:

on (release) {

ernestinevideo = "http://www.tadauniverse.org/hs/ernestine_vid.html";

pos_y = 100;

pos_x = 100;

getURL("javascript:window.open('" add ernestinevideo add "','" add "glossary" add "','width=165" add ",height=250,scrollbars=yes" add ",top='+((" add pos_y/1 add "))+',left='+((" add pos_x/1 add "))); void(0);");

}

Banned
    And why does it?

What do you mean, "Why does it?" Why does it suck? Because it loads the new window just fine, but then the clip in the flash window beneath it goes blank. The user is then stranded in a popup window with no nav in the parent window...?

Banned
    2 questions...

Are you testing this through the html holding the main movie and not within the application itself?

Can you attach your .fla, and both htmls?

The .fla is here:
    http://www.tadauniverse.org/hs/homepageFINAL.fla

Most of the popups which are problematic are located on the frame labeled "players" and within the "talkbubble" movie clip.

I don't have any javascript or other code in any of the html docs that populate the popup windows. Is that the problem?

Banned
    Will have a look!

That's very cool of you. One thing that may be helpful:
    When I embedded the .swf into an html page, the problem did not occur. I can certainly do that for the live version, but on my next project I will need to know how to pop up an html file in a window from a flash file...

thanks again,
    necia

Banned
    Well, I don't see videos showing up in the popups, but when NOT testing this movie in the Flash application itself, I don't get that blank extra window with [object] in it, if that's what you're referring to! That would be normal in the application, but testing this through the html in which this main movie is embedded, the popups popup fine and no blank window behind.

BTW, I'm a smoker!

Weird. I've seen the problem occur on my machine and at least one other, but the client never said anything, so maybe it's just a handful of us...

Oh, and I'm not into the ritualistic persecution of smokers. (though as a singer, I did appreciate when california went to smoke-free bars). This was just a non-profit teens and tobacky site.

Thanks for helping me out. I think what I'll do is just embed my flash from now on!

Necia

Banned
    You'd get that blank window double-clicking the .swf directly also, only screening it through the html, would work.
    One problem you might still have, is that now that a new selection is possible within the main browser window, the next selection will make the popup lose focus and it will thus now lay behind the main browser window, unless the previous popup was closed.
    In other words, if I go from one player directly to the other, without closing the popup, the next popup will appear behind the main window. You should maybe look into that!