A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .swf File Size

.swf File Size

Hi ya,

What file size .swf would you recommend for a splash screen on my 1st page of my website, I have 16 pics on M tween (pic sizes about 25kb).swf was 390kb which I think is to BIG...I have re-sized the pics & got them down to 5kb to 8kb .swf is now just over 100kb...

Any ideas what a good size would be ?

Kymo (newbie)

Personally I get irritated over anything preventing me to get to the site and navigation.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

ya so do I!
    if you want to add pictures,
    why not turn them in vector images?
    it would drop the file size way down, and I like the cartoony look to pictures on the net anyway.

A splash intro I think should be as small as possible, also add a skip intro button for those on 56k!
    What you learn is meant to be forgotten, so you can flow freely.
    -Bruce Lee

uh..

Maybe about 250 - 450kb? I dunno..matters on what server if your using a free server, I use greatnow and keep my pages below 5 mb.
    And the cow jumped over the moon..

~ Yugi

wo wo wo,
    did you say 5mb?????
    for a website???????

dude, no more 300k!!!!!!
    What you learn is meant to be forgotten, so you can flow freely.
    -Bruce Lee

First things first, you shouldn't be using a splash screen at all unless there's a good reason. Usually Flashers use them to warn the visitor that Flash pages are inside the site, so they should check to see if their computers meet the technological demands of the site. If you must incorporate Flash into the splash page (I must admit I do it sometimes too) I would really keep it small. No larger than 20-30kb. Subtle animtions are nice for splash pages, but nothing more. Save the good stuff for the website itself.

will eat you alive
    gdstudio is completely and utterly right. I would only use flash itself on the splash page in order to say to the user 'if you can see this, go right ahead'. So in an instance like that, you want to be keeping the swf size down to whatever your jpgs / gifs are normally. The email link on my page is only about 11k, I think.

I try and keep things below 250kb for an entire site but usually get carried away a little. So then I use loadmovie a lot so stuff loads gradually!

Oh, and 5Mb is absolutely mental!

Originally posted by telekin
    gdstudio is completely and utterly right. I would only use flash itself on the splash page in order to say to the user 'if you can see this, go right ahead'. So in an instance like that, you want to be keeping the swf size down to whatever your jpgs / gifs are normally. The email link on my page is only about 11k, I think.

I try and keep things below 250kb for an entire site but usually get carried away a little. So then I use loadmovie a lot so stuff loads gradually!

Oh, and 5Mb is absolutely mental!
    To add to this, I would once again recommend that you don't even use splash pages. Especially if you are selling a product and potential buyers are visiting your site. Most people just want to see your portfolio right away. Having them click through an extra screen is not cool and bad business IMO. Anyways, if you must use a splash screen, follow telekin's advice above and you should be safe.

Thks for the advice,

The site is a personal site anyway (unless U call taking the piss out people as a business)...Just wanted to tart it up bit, I'm already happy with the layout of it...

Kymo

will eat you alive
    Well, I wish I could make money in that manner. What a dream job that would be!

It would be nice get money that way hasn't happened yet

> Telekin, I see what you mean about the splash screen, like your site...

I suppose its not really a splash screen more of an intro to my site, As I have only being using flash MX for about 3 weeks I don't have the time or know how to do the hole site, but U have to start some where...That's what's great about FK very informative...

Cheers...
    Kyme