A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: legal question

legal question

Does anyone know the legality of posting links to sites without getting permission?

This specifically relates to a business site I'm creating. The client wants a page to post links to other sites where articles have been written supporting some of the buisness philosophies of my client. The articles do not specifically mention my client, but solely discuss the business field they are in.

For example, if you were a Flash Design company and found a third party article supporting the use of Flash, are there any legal issues if you post a link, and give credit, to the site where the article originates?

Thanks

as far as i know theres nothing illegal about it, you can link to anything as long as its a free site (not a pay site kinda thing, etc)

thats kinda what I thought, but it's always good to be cautious. I can't imagine why anyone would get upset, but you never know.

I think you'll get a better responce to this here

I follow these rules (they're not set in stone though and are more ethical than legal rules):

[list=1]I link to other sites but only in a positive aspect. I never link saying something like 'compare these to us, they're rubbish'[/list=1]
    [list=2]I think its polite to let them know you are linking to them, they can find out through their logs anyway so a courtesy email is a good thing.[/list=2]
    [list=3]If they ask for the link to be removed, I would remove it.[/list=3]

there is a raft of information about hyperlinks and the law (in several languages found here
    Living the dream

Usually it is 'illegal', often found in the website's terms and conditions, this is only to cover there back over more serious issues. I know that most big companys or organisations will inclused this in there terms, but it is evident that a 'blind eye' is turned when the linking is of an innocent nature.
    But yes, it is usually illegal.

There has been some hubbub in the past over "deep linking" (linking to anything other than a site's home page). If you want to read my thoughts on it, check http://www.c2idesign.com/weblog/2002/08/082002.htm .

My basic feeling is if the information is on a publicly available server and you are not trying to pass off the content as yours in any way, you are fine. Some sites will try to put a "no deep links" line in their Terms of Use agreement. If you are worried about stepping on any toes, I'd obey them (although IMHO you have no legal obligation to do so).

Also, I'd agree overall with Razor's comments.

-monster.

DISCLAIMER: Any legal advice given by monster is generally useless as he changed his mind about going to law school and took up a career in IT instead so that he could eat.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've looked at the sites they want to link to and none of them even has a "terms of service". I've sent each of the sites an e-mail and have yet to receive a single response.... time will tell.

FYI, the clients method purpose in posting the links would always include positioning the originating site in a positive manner