A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Importing audio and video separately

Importing audio and video separately

I'm converting a bunch of QT movies to Flash, and I'm running into some sync issues (big surprise!) I've read pretty much all the posts here about audio sync, and I figure my best bet is to import the audio separately and stream it on another layer. Is this possible in MX without having to buy Flix or Squeeze? I don't have the audio by itself, just the QT files.

If you are on a Mac you can try bbDeMux (check Google) - it will seperate .mpgs into seperate tracks - not too sure about .mov's.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    Breaking up the audio is not generally advisable and is likely to lead to more sync issues.
    What quality setting are you using for video import? You should use less than 100%.
    Have you tried setting the framerate equal to the source? That may help.

jb
    www.wildform.com

Thanks guys,

After a fair bit of hair-pulling, I realized that the original QT movies were out of sync! Pays to check that first ;-)

Anyways, I got the client to split the audio and video for me, then synced 'em up in Flash... worked just fine. I've matched up the frame rates too, which I wasn't doing before.

If anyone's interested, the site (in progress) is here:

http://www.49percentfilms.com

Like I said, not done yet! But I'd like to know how it's working so far, especially as I can't check it on a 56k dialup. Any feedback would be welcome.

Nice job!

Are you using some kind of buffering? - the loading works nice. Just curious, are you loading to a movie clip or to levels?

The rainbow banding you are getting on some of the videos may be the result of odd pixel sizes. Just a hint, but you want to make sure that your movie's dimensions are in factors or 4.

Thanks Wheels, and thanks for the tip!

I'm loading the clips to level1, and I coded a buffer thingy which checks clip length against projected load time, based on actual connection speed. Did you check it on broadband or modem?

I took the transport and slider controls from the mp3 player I coded for http://www.boomtang.com , then altered it so you can "scrub" through the clips. Glad to hear it works well for you!

hey,

can any of you guys tell me how to split the audio and video apart within flash?

thanks.