A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Use imported mp3 quality dialog missing

Use imported mp3 quality dialog missing

Several places I have seen something like:

To export an imported MP3 file with the same settings the file had on import:

In the Sound Properties dialog box, choose MP3 from the Compression menu.

Select Use Imported MP3 Quality (the default setting). Deselect this option to choose other MP3 compression settings, as defined in the procedure below.

Ehh.. MY dialog box does not show this "Use Imported MP3 Quality". I DOES offer my to convert stereo to mono, choose bit rates and quality (FAst, medium, best)

This puzzles me a lot.

What obvious thing am I doing wrong??

Thought I'd document

..so attached a screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images

your screen shot was for the "Sound Settings" dialog box not the Sound Properties dialog box. They are different.

To view the Sound Properties dialog box, double click on the sound's ICON in the library.

Note that the feature you describe is not available for sounds set to stream sync.

Properties box

Hi hp3

And thanks for the reply.

Well I tried every box nearby - doubleclicking brings the enclosed dialog box.

However I discovered that importing a standard music MP3-file actually brought up the "Use Imported.."-box (I was beginning to doubt my sanity)

This probably means that my homegrown MP3's are invalid somehow?

Thanks again

Michael Gade

Forgot..

.. No different behavior if I choose "streaming" - in this respect.. And I agree that the settings are stupid (I read a lengthy post of yours on Hz-settings and bit rates etc.) My next take will be different (I clumsily failed to preserve toe original recording )

when I double click the sound icon in the library I get the sound properties window showing the mp3 checkbox. this feature is only available in Flash MX.

My comment about stream sounds was actually pertaining to the fact that you use the Flash tab of the publish settings window to compress stream sounds not the sound properties window. Flash MX has no option to bypass compression for stream sync pre-compressed mp3.

Not sure I get it.. Anyway..

Hi hp3

Really appreciate this! I figure there is something rotten about the way I make MP3's! I managed to make a wav with an increased sampling rate, and import that file to Flashs library (MX it is). And then publish it at a decent bit rate and quality setting. A litte more trouble than just going with the MP3's.. But it works.

Still can't figure out why MY homegrown mp3's wont be accepted by Flash (See the enclosed - my version of your box), but some things are better left as is (I love being relatively sane )

Thanks again, and keep up the good work (It was your text on mhz and stuff that gave me a clue in the first place)

Michael Gade

Total surrender

Yo..

For the record: It was the ridiculous sampling rate I chose! See enclosed..

Kind regards!

by the way, Wildform Linx is a usefull app for merging existing mp3 into an existing SWF. This is a convenient way to avoid the Flash recompression issue with streaming mp3.