A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .swf file size help

.swf file size help

Hi all,

I am needing a compression program to compress my swf...right now it's at 1.9 megs and I can't get it any smaller...

I have searched(in the forums and via the web) and can only find the program "optimaze"...My image is not vector, and since I am doing a website for free, I can't really justify buying anything in the first place(at least not at that price)...

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA,

Brad

Reduce the jepg quality when exporting. Use a small flash file to load other flash elements. This will present some flash content while other content is loading.
    Hello.

hmmmm

uh, remember I am a "newbie" (bows head)...I have no idea what you are talking about

Peace,

Brad

btw

I reduced the jpeg quality quite a bit...I don't dare go any more lower...

i am a newb too so i may be mistaken but i think he is talking about making sort of a base swf and then with your other content you make seperate swf's and load them into movie clips within your base swf makin any sense ?

http://bensmovies.cjb.net

???

how do you do that im a noob and would also like to know
    ben

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Hi there

I think I've replied for that one more than 5 times, it's very advisable to run a search in the forums, that way you might find more than you expected.

anyway here goes:

make a target movie clip, i.e. a movieclip symbol, and give it an instance name like "target", or "container", then the rest of your work will be divided in other smaller .swf files, like one for this menu, one for that category and so on...

then your buttons will be loading your smaller movies in the container movieclip symbol, for example if your links are on buttons then your buttons' actionscript should look like this:

=================================================
    on (release) {
    loadMovie("small_1.swf", _root.container);
    }
    =================================================

where small_1.swf is your err.. small swf file, located with the main .swf file, and _root.container is the name of your movieclip symbol located at the main time line.

if your files will be big, you can always use a preloader to ease the pain of downloading.

also a nice tip for big .swf files is to generate a size report, sometimes you'd be amazed about how much clutter stays in your file, to generate a size report, goto file>publish settings>flash>generate size report, also if you are using Flash MX check the compress movie option, it can reduce your file size considerably.

if anything is not clear I can post a sample

hope that helped

http://bensmovies.cjb.net

Thanks

i think i understand that
    ben