A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Razormedia CMS - Boardroom Project

Originally posted by phantomflanflinger

I've updated my profile, Bruce.
    nice drink love, not as good as the chicken breast though!
    Living the dream

Harry Tuttle phantomflanflinger's Avatar
    When you look at your CMS as it is today, you probably think "well that needs a lot of development.

But, it already works. It's only a minor glitch that &text#= appears. Apart from that, it is already a working CMS.

You can easily get Flash to load text from the check.php file. Once it stops returning &text#= you could use it, Bruce.
    We're all in it together

When you look at your CMS as it is today, you probably think "well that needs a lot of development.

But, it already works. It's only a minor glitch that &text#= appears. Apart from that, it is already a working CMS.

You can easily get Flash to load text from the check.php file. Once it stops returning &text#= you could use it, Bruce.
    Yeah, I know albeit a very basic one.

I am avoiding a flash cms as theres no need for it to be flash at this moment in time.

I have created a v simple news page in flash with a php backend here. I didn't see at the time why it should be in flash as it can be a hinderance at times.
    Living the dream

"I am avoiding a flash cms as theres no need for it to be flash at this moment in time. "

I agree. I was only saying Flash can load text/HTML remotely from text/HTML files, so your CMS does already work with Flash, in its way. This is FLASHkit.com, I gave it a Flash angle (99.°)
    We're all in it together

Proposed new features...

Ello,

I didnt sleep much last night so I grabbed a pen and paper and wrote down these few features which would be beneficial to this CMS project.

They are mostly concerning information validity and maintaining out of date information. A big issue with a CMS is that information can become old, inaccurate and sometimes illegal because its out of date.

My proposal? Have some method of tacking an expiry date to the content. Also have a "when to go live" addition so that content can be premade but not published - I think this is a great idea. An option to view, edit + delete these event would be appropriate.

Another idea was to have some type of code repository for simple actions for making popup windows (or anything else that can use javascript and take php variables from form input by a user) - this might be beyond the scope of this CMS but its a useful idea + gives a user more flexibility with their website.

Crapsticks - This is gettin 2b a bit long - anyway there you go.
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
    - Einstein reads / <a href="http://nostatus.com" title="affiliate marketing">affiliate marketing</a>

Thanks clo77, or should that be Einstein? No.

Anyway, as I forgot to mention earlier, if anyone does want to remove the &text#= from the check.php (News) page, all they have to do is modify line 24 of check.php to say:

echo ("".$row[""]."".$row["ptext"]);

but, this makes it harder to see what text is what while you're testing the CMS.

Bruce - strange thing happened I can't fathom (crap at PHP, me): I installed your CMS on a server and when I click something to delete it (and therefore go /cms/delete_record?pnumber=#) I get not a 'page cannot be found' error. And no, I don't mean a 'failed to execute query' error.
    Can't work this out. Everything else works perfectly, the edit function returns the edited check.php file instantly - even though it doesn't on your server when I go there.
    We're all in it together

Bruce - strange thing happened I can't fathom (crap at PHP, me): I installed your CMS on a server and when I click something to delete it (and therefore go /cms/delete_record?pnumber=#) I get not a 'page cannot be found' error. And no, I don't mean a 'failed to execute query' error.
    Can't work this out. Everything else works perfectly, the edit function returns the edited check.php file instantly - even though it doesn't on your server when I go there.
    erm? case sensitive?

my actual folder is called Razormedia_cms so that might have something to do with it.

the edit function doesn't work that well because it uses GET as opposed to POST so theres a limit to the number of characters, hence the later items will never be edited.

I'll continue this further this week.
    Living the dream

erm? case sensitive?
    my actual folder is called Razormedia_cms so that might have something to do with it.
    No, that's not it.

the edit function doesn't work that well because it uses GET as opposed to POST so theres a limit to the number of characters, hence the later items will never be edited.
    Of course.

I'll continue this further this week.
    So will I.
    We're all in it together

This has been bugging me, so I debugged myself.

Line 24 of delete.php should be:
    echo "<a href='delete_record.php?pnumber=",$row['pnumber'],"'>";

The one you uploaded said:
    echo "<a href='delete_record?pnumber=",$row['pnumber'],"'>";
    Which works fine on your server, although God knows why!

I have changed the edit function to POST, it works fine. Or does it?

Also, the delete_record.php file you uploaded was structurally messy, but still worked. I tidied that up.

I'm not wasting my time here, debugging scripts helps me learn PHP. Probably no point me uploading my revised version, as you'll fix it all up yourself.

We may not be good at PHP on our own Bruce, but when we get together, we're ****e.
    We're all in it together

We may not be good at PHP on our own Bruce, but when we get together, we're ****e.
    ha ha, cheers mate.
    Living the dream

This has been bugging me, so I debugged myself.

Line 24 of delete.php should be:
    echo "<a href='delete_record.php?pnumber=",$row['pnumber'],"'>";

The one you uploaded said:
    echo "<a href='delete_record?pnumber=",$row['pnumber'],"'>";
    Which works fine on your server, although God knows why!

I have changed the edit function to POST, it works fine. Or does it?

Also, the delete_record.php file you uploaded was structurally messy, but still worked. I tidied that up.

I'm not wasting my time here, debugging scripts helps me learn PHP. Probably no point me uploading my revised version, as you'll fix it all up yourself.

So have these recent updates been added to the download? I was going to try out the CMS thing on my server today, but I'll wait if there are updates to be added

Originally posted by Markp.com
    So have these recent updates been added to the download? I was going to try out the CMS thing on my server today, but I'll wait if there are updates to be added
    tonight my boy, tonight
    Living the dream

The thing about this type of 'collaboration' is, people always know there's a danger that if they do any work, someone else may already have done it and they'll have wasted their time.

Although, The Arena amazes me. All that work going on, just to look better than 'the other guy'. And it is work and not play, because if you just open Flash or Photoshop or whatever and enjoy yourself, what you'll have at the end won't be your best work, so you won't look good or 'win'.

On topic, I've adapted the delete page to include a delete all fields link. Probably a dangerous thing! Tickboxes next to each field would be better, but that would mean doing some proper work.

Something is bothering me though: if instead of asking for all the data sorted by pnumber, I ask the database for one field only, specified numerically, why does it return me a blank space? Do I have to go to the PHP control panel on the server and add a query there? If you could reply with a line of code that'd be great.
    We're all in it together

The thing about this type of 'collaboration' is, people always know there's a danger that if they do any work, someone else may already have done it and they'll have wasted their time.

Although, The Arena amazes me. All that work going on, just to look better than 'the other guy'. And it is work and not play, because if you just open Flash or Photoshop or whatever and enjoy yourself, what you'll have at the end won't be your best work, so you won't look good or 'win'.

On topic, I've adapted the delete page to include a delete all fields link. Probably a dangerous thing! Tickboxes next to each field would be better, but that would mean doing some proper work.

Something is bothering me though: if instead of asking for all the data sorted by pnumber, I ask the database for one field only, specified numerically, why does it return me a blank space? Do I have to go to the PHP control panel on the server and add a query there? If you could reply with a line of code that'd be great.
    rob, I've not touched this whatsoever, had a rush job on and a bad weekend. I have decided though that the edit all fields is a bit of a no no for the client, its too easy for them to mess up, I'll be changing that when I do get round to having a crack at it (eventually). Send me what you've done so far and I'll update mine.

send to phantomflanflinger@_nospam_razormedia.co.uk (remove _nospam_).

cheers bob
    Living the dream

Nothing to send really - just look at the changes I've made to the code in this thread, that's about it. I know you're busy etc..
    We're all in it together

Hmmm, so, we forgot about it.

But - if you could just let me know how to display the data from a single database entry specified by number as I asked earlier (below) I'll do some work and upload it.

if instead of asking for all the data sorted by pnumber, I ask the database for one field only, specified numerically, why does it return me a blank space? Do I have to go to the PHP control panel on the server and add a query there? If you could reply with a line of code that'd be great.
    We're all in it together

sorry, have been very busy mate.

Code:
    $query = "SELECT * FROM `cms` WHERE pnumber = 59 ";
    try that. works for me.

or pass a value in and use

Code:
    $query = "SELECT * FROM `cms` WHERE pnumber = $passedvar";
    Living the dream

Thanks. The bloody `````s confused me. What are they called anyway?

I won't be doing any work on the CMS tonight as there's a new MAME out.
    We're all in it together

Thanks. The bloody `````s confused me. What are they called anyway?
    not sure but lets christen them 'gits' for future reference.
    Living the dream

surely you don't need them in the SELECT statement though??

SELECT * from cms WHERE pid=$pid

should work fine....

btw - my own CMS project is coming along nicely, except it's nowhere near a state where I can release it into the wild, I'm afraid...

- n.