A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Backend with Flash Help

Backend with Flash Help

I'm currently doing a trivia game and would also like to have an online competition. (Like You Don't Know Jack....for those of you that remember the game). The problem is, for holding large tier/play off type competitions, I don't know what to use for the server. I'm very advanced at Flash MX but when it comes to the technology behind holding large competitions, I have know idea what to learn and impliment. Any ideas?

(the basic idea is that people would compete against each other online...both being asked a question at the same time and the first to answer gets the point...that's the basic jist of what I need it to do)
    Play Intimate Tonight!
    Check it out here

What if one of them has a slow connection?

That's the easy part. They will have the software (Flash) on their computer...then only thing they're getting from the server is the question # (or maybe the whole question) and that's it. No audio or Flash will be loaded from the server.
    Play Intimate Tonight!
    Check it out here

No man!

I mean, lets say player one press submit at 5 seconds, and takes 2 seconds for the answer to reach the server (Poor bastard is using a 28.8 k modem), player two takes 6 seconds to answer, but his answer reach the server in 0.5 seconds... then he wins even though the other guy was better.

Even worse, let's say both start at the same time, player 1 get's the first question in 3 seconds but player 2 takes 10 seconds to get the same question... he already lost and there is nothing he can do about it.

I guess the best thing for you is make the hole test one XML file, flash can get it and take the time it takes to answer the hole thing.

Then post the time to the server, and you can keep a TOP 10 there.

Interesting idea. Question though. If all I pass back to the server is one variable such as answer=4 and that's it....it can't take more time for a 28.8 modem to send that than a 560k. It's only one byte practically. The 28.8 could do more than that in just one second.

Are you familiar with You Don't Know Jack Online? They're out of business now (or at least it seems that way) but they did that same thing. They did it with Shockwave though and did it around 1997-2000. It was a beautiful thing. If I'm only passing one variable back and forth it can't be to much different can it?

Your comments are appreciated Buabco.
    Play Intimate Tonight!
    Check it out here