A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Opening A Movie Within A Movie?

jmlstudio

resolved [RESOLVED] Opening A Movie Within A Movie?

Hello,

How do you open a movie within a movie in Flash? Can someone explain to me how to do this in plain english for Flash 5.

Thanks,
    Jin

open a movie ?? I did not quite get you ??
    do you want to edit the movie inside a movieclip ...to do that right click on the movie and selece "edit in place"

if you want to play a movie clip with in a movie clip you just have to drag the movie clip from the library into the one you want it to play in ...

Libran

jmlstudio
    Originally posted by libran
    open a movie ?? I did not quite get you ??
    do you want to edit the movie inside a movieclip ...to do that right click on the movie and selece "edit in place"

if you want to play a movie clip with in a movie clip you just have to drag the movie clip from the library into the one you want it to play in ...

Libran
    Hmm, I probably wasn't as clear as I thought. I'm currently building my online portfolio using Flash 5, and I have a scene with buttons. I want the buttons to open a new movie within the scene when a viewer clicks on the button. Basically I want it to be interactive. Kind of like the http://www.2advanced.com. In that site, when you click on a button, it opens a new movie that displays their portfolio pieces. I won't copy their site, but I would like to use that function/action.

Thanks,
    J

Smile

just do two basic things. First, create a movie clip called..."content" maybe. Then place that blankmovie clip into the main timeline in the very upper left corner (use the box that lets you do this more precise). Then name it "content". Then have your buttons do a load movie action to load some movie whatever.swf into the target "/content". There you go, that will load a movie into the movie.

Anand

jmlstudio
    Originally posted by aanbalagan
    just do two basic things. First, create a movie clip called..."content" maybe. Then place that blankmovie clip into the main timeline in the very upper left corner (use the box that lets you do this more precise). Then name it "content". Then have your buttons do a load movie action to load some movie whatever.swf into the target "/content". There you go, that will load a movie into the movie.

Anand
    Thanks for the response. Can your re-itterate a little more specifically. I'm kind of new to Flash 5. Thanks again.

Jin

Smile

I have to be honest, I haven't gotten my copy of Flash 5 yet, though I do have version 4. And, its to my understanding that there are a lot of similarities. So, with that, I'll see if I can explain it a little bit easier. Start with creating a new symbol, make it a movie clip and call it "content" (that's what I call it when I want to do something like what you are askin). Place this into the main timeline. You will see it as just a crossmark. Move this cross to the very upperleft hand conner of the project. There is an object handler that will allow you to do it more precise (if it's the same in Flash 5, just do the following: (1) check the "Use Center Point" box; (2) Make it x=0, y=0)
    Now, modify the clip's instance ("ctrl I" ?) and name the clip "content". Make some button and then have the actions do a load movie action. I think that this action is something like "basic actions", though I'm probably making a mistake there. Well, when you have the load movie action there, specify the parameters. Have it load some movie, we'll call it blah.swf, and then where to put it. Where to put it can be either a level or a target. You'll want to make it a target. This is where the naming of the movie clip comes in. The target you'll want it to load in will be: /content. The "/" means the topmost level of the movie and "content" is the name that you gave to the clip in the modify instance.

That's it! Now, you'll have the button load the movie blah.swf into the main movie. Hope this helped a little better.

Anand

jmlstudio
    Bingo! I got it! This leads to a new question if you don't mind. How would I close the movie? Can I have a square button on the movie or somewhere that will close the loaded movie?

Thanks again,
    Jin

It would also be cool to be able to drag the movie, know how to do that too?

Smile

close Movie: There is an action called "unload movie", in Flash 4 it was in the same thing as "load movie", so i'm guessing it's in the same spot. Basically, in the unload movie thing there is just one thing. Specify the movie you want to unload. Just type it in, like blah.swf. Another way it to just not bother doing that. You can just have another button load another movie into the /content movie clip and you will have the other movie gone, and a new one there.

As for Drag movie. I know how to do it, but you should check out the tutorial in Flashkit for it.

jmlstudio
    Cool, thanks.

Jin