A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: quick Swift 3D shape question

quick Swift 3D shape question

im doing a logo for a friend but im having difficuly getting exactly what he wants.
    basically the logo is like this:
    theres a large circle. inside theres another circle offset to the bottom left corner. so both are perfect circles but the 2nd one is aligned off to the bottom left of the large one.
    the offset circle is really a blank space within the larger circle, i cut a chunk of it out.
    now when i bring it into swift 3d i can outer bevel it fine, but i need NO flatness whatsoever to the remaning part of the circle. basically i need the remaining circle to look like a torus shape (the thing that looks like the donut). if anyone has any suggestions please post them, ive been trying this for well over and hour and a half now. thanks

When you place a bevel on an extrusion it will follow the entire outline of the shape. So no, there is no way to specify which part of an extrusion gets a bevel and which does not beyond the choice to place it on the front, back or both. The images below show you something of a workaround that might work for you, though. It's not going to work if the inner circle is too close to the outer edge of the larger circle, but basically you just add another shape that will cover the bevel you don't want.

You can see on the left that both objects are actually comprised of 2 separate extrusions.

The image below is a screenshot of the shapes as I exported them from Flash. The green outlines represent a filled inner circle that will serve to cover the bevel on the inner circle.

mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

thanks for the response.
    did you render the 1st image in swift 3d? if so, how did you get it to be so hot? it looks like it came out of 3DS max.

I didn't really do anything special to it, just increased the Smoothness under the Bevel settings and moved the lights around a little bit. It's also a raster render, so that may be why it looks so smooth.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

only problem it may pose, is that if you render that out in vector with an outline, it will show the inner circle you made, but thats not really a problem..just frame by frame deleting
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity