A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixel WAR!!!

Pixel WAR!!!

Its time this forum has a pixel War. Before you get confused let me explain. What we do is lay down some rules and you design your character depending on these rules. This is a learning curve for those who wish to learn the arts of pixeling. And an oppertunity for those of us who are fairly capable of pixel drawings to show our stuff.Every few days new rules are set the first set of rules are drawing your character. A few days later the rules will be to animate an attack for your character and so on. And by the end of this WAR/Tutorial you will have a fully functioning character with serveral different moves. And if we really get into this we may create a few more characters/enimes and even an advanced Turnbased RPG engine to test your characters in, but thats a little down the track. But for now we are concentrating in the actuall design and animation for the character itself. So i think i have said all i have to say. Ill lay down the rules.

Make your own hero character following these guides.

Race: Human
    Hair Colour: Red,blue,blonde
    Body Type : Medium Build
    Class:Ninja,Soldier,Theif,Healer
    Clothes : Armour
    Skin Colour : Your Choice
    Size of image: 70w 70h

Go get Pixeling. You have a few days to get your character designs in.

LET THE PIXEL WAR BEGIN!!!
    Last edited by hooligan2001; 02-26-2003 at 07:00 AM.

hmmm, ill try! ill do some paper sketches now

Ok agreed , the limit is 70 X 70. We will work on bigger sprites down the track then ?

My Entry:

How I did it:
    I promised a little tutorial on how I did my gif, so here it is!! - ok, first of all go and look for warrior pictures and sprites and learn as much about the style of clothing, armor etc as possible. I always find actually looking at other examples makes the theory of your drawing much easier!

Once you've got examples in your head try to get a mental image of your character in your mind, add things and take things away until, in theory, it would look good! Now draw it! Many people are not good at drawing and will find this difficult so go and find a resource on how to draw!! Manga characters are always the best for me, because they have a nice distinctive style and are obviously proportioned and drawn to that style!

Once you have drawn your image (lightly in pencil on white paper), and your happy with it get a nice BLACK pen and go over the lines you are happy with. You now have a drawing of your character in black ink on White paper!! Now scan the image into your favorite paint program! (I use PSP7)!

Once your image is in your program you need to trim off any excess white paper around the edges so that the image is to the edges on the top, bottom, left and right! Now resize the image height to the height you want your sprite to be using smart size (not pixel resize), now add a new raster layer.

Now go over the lines with the pencil tool, I use luminous green so that it contrasts against the image, and it's easier to see! Once your happy with the trace, copy that layer to a new image with transparent background and colorize the image black!! You should now have a black outline of your sprite. delete or edit any messy or stray pixels until your happy with it. Choose the colors that you would like and fill the areas with the color, high contrasting colors look best because then the parts are easier to distinguish!

Once happy with the fills use the LIGHT picker to choose a lighter shade of the same colors, and highlight where the light would hit the sprite from a light source and choose a darker shade for the shaddows. Save it as a trasparent gif and bobs your uncle!! There are loads of tutorials on the internet about how to draw images with lightsources so check em out and Good Luck!!

RipX
    Last edited by RipX; 02-26-2003 at 07:52 AM.

RipX - Thanks for the little tut you put together i think everyone can put that one to good use when making sprites.

I started mine and have come to realise how hard it is to actually work with such a small area , lol one pixel pretty much takes up the hole stage . Guess it teachs people to conserve room.

Heres a progress pic of mine. Just in ideas stage and not even as impresive as RipX's but i guess after a few sprites ill get better

Here it is , it still needs to be redesigned and colored in.

i know both pred and token are good pixelers, get in here! you too phreax

also DAYDREAM! but that was obvious... right
    Last edited by mbenney; 02-26-2003 at 10:47 AM.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    I think it's Daydream you want, MBen I'll see if I can whip something up...
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Originally posted by phreax
    I think it's Daydream you want, MBen I'll see if I can whip something up...

penguins allowed ? shhh

Untitled-2.fla
    I didn't have much time with this, i'm tying to get into pixelling - it's my first real attempt so C+C, this would be a ninja (without armour) - the shading is pretty poor - it's about 15 mins work, I tried to get the most realistic stance within the limitations, steal the outline and add to it if you want.

Originally posted by token 3
    I didn't have much time with this, i'm tying to get into pixelling - it's my first real attempt so C+C, this would be a ninja (without armour) - the shading is pretty poor - it's about 15 mins work, I tried to get the most realistic stance within the limitations, steal the outline and add to it if you want.

hah! i knew you'd be lurking! ( i did some modifications to that file you sent me, did you get it? )

I'm not very good at pixel art but i thought i might as well have a shot at it, here is what i created, you may say it is a person standing next to two book shelves, but really it is a person sitting down next to two wheels, It's like a little vehicle, i guess, you decide. I will probably make some more pixel drawing later for this thread.

Yes I did read your Tutorial But I couldnt be bothered

Or With Shading:

I Prefer Without Shading
    Last edited by strangelife2k; 02-26-2003 at 11:12 AM.

Originally posted by strangelife2k
    I'm not very good at pixel art but i thought i might as well have a shot at it, here is what i created, you may say it is a person standing next to two book shelves, but really it is a person sitting down next to two wheels, It's like a little vehicle, i guess, you decide. I will probably make some more pixel drawing later for this thread.
    ermmm, you didn't use my tutorial did you?!?!

ok, following your tute rip! this is my first ever bit of pixel art! but here is my first sketch... i referred heavily from this photo http://www.tedtoy.com/NINJA.JPG, but i drew it all on paper!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mbenney; 02-27-2003 at 12:24 PM.

foul-mouthed chucklehead
    inches away from you, in the 4th dimension....
    i've never done pixel art before, for the most part. Like this anyway. I'd like to have a shot at it, just wondering what the "deadline" is before we get into the next part of this little pixelwar thingy mabobber.

this is a cool way to get people to do something different and/or productive!

Originally posted by mbenney
    ok, following your tute rip! this is my first ever bit of pixel art! but here is my first sketch...
    You didn't cut the image to the edges of the actual image and you didn't resize the image to 70 pixels high before tracing. You should only do the outline 1 pixel think too!

RipX

thats just my preliminary sketch! im doing it now...not quite happy with the outline yet, but i may just start colouring, maybe it will look better then...
    Attached Images Attached Images

by the stage you've outlined it it should look more like this:

lol, man, we posted at nearly the same time, and it's hard to see the difference!!

RipX

I might go into antilaising the sprite later on, but I couldn't even be bothered to do that on my gif, It's pretty easy though, You can see it at work on my stranded stan picture!!!

RipX

j00 r teh pwnz0r3d DarkMagicHacker's Avatar
    Hmmm... Now I wanna do pixel art!
    You pwn. I pwn. We all pwn for ice pwn.

Chop Suey! The Greatarst Gaem EVAR!!!!!!!!