A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixel WAR!!!

Ripx
    I agree with you too ..

Okay here's my character again .. maybe that pic in the last post didn't work .. I don't know .
    Attached Images Attached Images

erm vont, do you know how to count to 70? lol

RipX

lolz .. I'll try next time lol .. Ripx, It's okay if want to make some cool additions to it

I don't have time, I actually really like it, you could do with tidying the edges up and adding a little more contrast of light! Thants about it really!

Originally posted by RipX
    I am just letting people know, that there is going to be a big hold on my project as I'm doing something to improve it, but this time i'm keeping it a secret! Since everyone seems to be jumping on anything I put on this board these days. Not that that's a problem but I start putting on some pixel art and this thread and many other pixel threads appear, I start working on tile engines over a year ago, and now look - before that I was working on one of the first rotational isometric engines, (my name was either arcadenetwork/garypaluk/something), this board ever saw and it was an open source project and a load of people started pushing for certain things in it and I got demorolised and jacked it in. Then a load of iso games appeared. I'm glad that when I get an idea I inspire people to get involved but people here just seem to jump on the bandwagon. If I was to make a terrain engine tommorow, 100 people would want to make one! Why? Just me saying that will make 20 people try!

I decided to make a full scrolling tile game, the next day there were 4/5! Hmmmm - I don't want to be *****y but can't help feeling that when people are copying your work or bettering you on your ideas that It takes away from your original work, and it doesn't look impressive any more. I was actually banned from this forum twice for putting a couple of comments to people and even after being a user of this forum for about 2.5 years it seems that many influential people who keep this board alive from the beginning have been baned. This forum is too full of people who suck up to each other because they don't want to be dragged into an argument.

terrain engine
    the sims (2d/iso game)
    wipeout (one demo I did that didn't get coppied, WOW)
    3d space ship using drawing api (like starfox/starwing)

Look there's some of the next generation ideas!! Why? cos if i'd put them on later they would be!! I just thought of them in 2 minutes! Now everyone else go and do the same and then guess what, you have an original idea!

I'm bored of zelda, gta, tile engines, isometric engines. I'm going to come back in a few months with some stuff that's gonna blow you away! I'm not saying that this board hasn't inspired me to do some stuff cos it has, but I always push the boundries.

RipX
    RIPX, i understand where your coming from, but in a way you have to understand were just using flash. Most games have already been made, or the style has been created. It's amazing that you manage to cram it into flash, but the style isn't always 100% original.

Remember, copying is the highest form of flattery!

Anywayz, i agree you should keep your projects secret up intill launch. When i have an idea, and need help, i never tell people why i need the code, i just need some helps with snippets (try not to tell all unless required)

Anywayz, thats all i'm saying. Don't get mad, cause i fully understand where your coming from....

Originally posted by RipX
    I am just letting people know, that there is going to be a big hold on my project as I'm doing something to improve it, but this time i'm keeping it a secret! Since everyone seems to be jumping on anything I put on this board these days. Not that that's a problem but I start putting on some pixel art and this thread and many other pixel threads appear, I start working on tile engines over a year ago, and now look - before that I was working on one of the first rotational isometric engines, (my name was either arcadenetwork/garypaluk/something), this board ever saw and it was an open source project and a load of people started pushing for certain things in it and I got demorolised and jacked it in. Then a load of iso games appeared. I'm glad that when I get an idea I inspire people to get involved but people here just seem to jump on the bandwagon. If I was to make a terrain engine tommorow, 100 people would want to make one! Why? Just me saying that will make 20 people try!

I decided to make a full scrolling tile game, the next day there were 4/5! Hmmmm - I don't want to be *****y but can't help feeling that when people are copying your work or bettering you on your ideas that It takes away from your original work, and it doesn't look impressive any more. I was actually banned from this forum twice for putting a couple of comments to people and even after being a user of this forum for about 2.5 years it seems that many influential people who keep this board alive from the beginning have been baned. This forum is too full of people who suck up to each other because they don't want to be dragged into an argument.

terrain engine
    the sims (2d/iso game)
    wipeout (one demo I did that didn't get coppied, WOW)
    3d space ship using drawing api (like starfox/starwing)

Look there's some of the next generation ideas!! Why? cos if i'd put them on later they would be!! I just thought of them in 2 minutes! Now everyone else go and do the same and then guess what, you have an original idea!

I'm bored of zelda, gta, tile engines, isometric engines. I'm going to come back in a few months with some stuff that's gonna blow you away! I'm not saying that this board hasn't inspired me to do some stuff cos it has, but I always push the boundries.

RipX
    ok,your last sentence may be true,but i disagree with most of the rest.i mean if you invent something new (something which hasn´t been there in the gaming industry) and someone else copies it,i agree you have a reason to be p***ed off.also if you release an engine and everyone uses it without altering it and states its their work.also if you create an origianl character and someone else uses it.
    But sorry,your examples of things you think you started/developed and others copied/catched on later are no good examples for what you´re talking about.
    pixel art threads have been here for quite a while,so pushing another one might inspire others to do some pixel art work,but surely isn´t innovative.
    Tilebased engines have been there since the early days of the gaming industry and also have been there in flash since its possible to do them (if i remember right,wireframe released a tech example almost 3 years ago,guys lke tonypa kicked the first ones in flash4 with smooth scrolling the list is long..),so you might come up with a totally speedy one which runs smooth with several enemies and parallax layers going on at once,but hey,even that wouldn´t be a new idea,"just" a great improvement.
    Sure,everytime someone whos good at it releaes great work,many others will try to do similar stuff,but that´s no reason to be pissed off,it shows you that others think your stuff rocks enough to try something similar.If i were you,i´d relase my stuff once it is progressed enough to work on the next one,so it doesn´t hurt you if others try something similar,just don´t claim you´ve developed the idea of creating a tilebased scrolling engine..
    (by the way: i´ve worked on a starfox game over two years ago and also worked on a drawing api version of it already,but i wouldn´t say i was the first to create a starfox game,cause that was shigeru miyamoto..)

note: i don´t have anything against you,i even like what you showd on the boards,that´s just my opinion on what you said in that post,hope you´re not pi***d off that i posted it.
    Last edited by tomsamson; 02-27-2003 at 09:54 AM.

no, no, I'm not pissed off with peoples comments, i'm actually pleased people arn't just sucking up and saying "Oh yes RipX we agree". I would never have known you were working on a api version of starfox (have you told anyone?) If I never knew anything about it, it may not be original but it would be an original idea to the person who's thinking it and that's what i'm trying to get from people.

I thought about making a tile engine in flash before I saw any tile engine demo. As I've never seen any of the projects (apart from my Wipeout), list that I put up in the earlier post, someone may have done them but I never saw any of them so I guess it'd be pretty original.

I'd like everyone to sit and think of a project that you've never seen done in flash before!!! And then working on it themselves, using the board for help!

That way there'd be a far richer variety of interesting games, I think i'm being misunderstood in the nature of my post, I just want to get people thinking of original and new problems to work through in flash!

RipX

rip, get out of your own ar$e, none of the things you listed are actually your own ideas, maybe you were the first one to copy a particular thing, thats nothing to be too proud of. stop being such a snob, you havent given me any proof that you are quite as 7337 as you like to claim...

as for the sprite, i didnt think that would be cheating! oh well, it was my first one and did every thing else myself (shading, colouring)! ill have to do it the same way as you lot when i come to do other views... ill see if i can do it as good!

[m]

ok,looks like i got you (partially) wrong,and glad to see,you´re not one of the type "we can be good friends if you suck well with words"
    i agree with you,we´d have much more interesting talks about games and games themselves here if everyone came up with a creative idea for something which hasn´t been there yet.i guess that´s mainly not the case because its just much more difficult to come up with an idea for something which hasn´t been done before than to recreate mario,gta or zelda (or any type of game which has been done a 1000 times).another problem is that if i get a commercial game job,the company normally says,hey,what about doing a mario like game..you see..
    in my free time,i also try to do creative new stuff or at least put in enough new ideas to make a game feel different than others of the same type (though my free time stuff hardly progresses because of commercial work).
    if you remember,blinkok had that starfox thread going ages ago and wanted to have others working on it,too.
    i had also worked on a starfox remake back then,so i showd him mine and we started working together.
    when flash mx came out much later,i tried to reswamp it using the drawing api,but it was just too slow,so i decided to work on it again later once there´s either a faster flash player,or everyone has his 4ghz machine (and that is counted as weak pc)...
    ...i can wait ..
    as you see from the above,i also wanted to make "another remake" back then when i first started working on starfox,that was when i just started learning real scripting in flash,so i wanted to concentrate on getting my engine working and knowing enough to set up different games rather than create a new game.
    i guess that´s another reason why we see so many clones of clones,there are new fellas on fk everyday,who just get the grip on flash and mainly want to see if they CAN create a game like zelda ,maybe not even because zelda is really the game they´d like to create once they see they could create games..
    anyho,i think pred is a good example for creative fellas here and i think there are quite some more so i think its not all "jump on the bandwagon" folks here and i still like showing stuff when i can.

Originally posted by fospher.com
    update your game mark!!! and stop spending all ur time in the lounge - next time i see you there u get a bare bottom spanking

games is the place to be
    Hehehe... I've got uni work, real work and the missuz to keep happy I get to work on iDB where I can.

PM me and I'll send you the link to the latest work

foul-mouthed chucklehead
    inches away from you, in the 4th dimension....
    Another thing you have to consider, RipX (and others), is the nature of these boards you are posting your ideas in. Alot of the people who come here are learning flash--still newbies at it! So, its natural for someone new at something to see a great idea, and want to copy it! Now, I do see your point that you do something and suddenly 100 people jump on the bandwagon, and half of them are calling it their own!! And I agree wholly. But, that is natural with these types of forums! Its just a case of a few rotten apples spoil the bunch. But I think the majority of people here are truly wanting to learn.

Take me for instance. I'm always trying to learn new things. I've been working with flash for a couple years now, but mostly doing interface stuff. I got into gaming because I'm a huge video game head. If you post a new/original/improved idea, im gonna check it out. Maybe even copy it for the purpose of learning how it works. I would then use what I learned and apply it in my own way to my projects. What I wouldn't do is copy your idea/project and repost it as my own. I haven't been here long, but it seems you do inspire people...and newbies at any particular thing need inspiration! Someone who knows what they are doing to "teach" or help them. And although I'm not a newbie at flash, I am a newbie at flash gaming.

The bottom line is the people who exploit others' ideas stand out. We know who they are, and they know who they are. Let it be! But the people who truly want to learn, and do it right, is what makes these boards stay alive and stay true to what they are. I've seen some boards go to hell because of idiots like the ones RipX is talking about. We can't let that can't happen here!!

Just one last point. Since we are dealing with code there isn't much room for diversion. What I mean, is someone comes up with and idea for a tile based engine that runs smoother, whatever. That can't be changed, because its code!! Code is very logical, almost set in stone! It's not like advertising or digital media where you can take someone elses ideas and throw your own twists and designs to it! I think there is more of a fine line with plagurism and exploitation in coding. I do agree with your point RipX, but there are other things to consider. Although, the flash community could do without all the sniveling wretched newbs that rip code and steal ideas trying to "get rich quick" in the flash world.

I guess what I'm tryin to say, is don't let it get to ya! Keep on doing great work and inspiring people. Let the ignoramus newb flashers continue being ignoramus'!!
    Last edited by chuckles; 02-27-2003 at 12:31 PM.

Originally posted by mbenney
    rip, get out of your own ar$e, none of the things you listed are actually your own ideas, maybe you were the first one to copy a particular thing, thats nothing to be too proud of. stop being such a snob, you havent given me any proof that you are quite as 7337 as you like to claim...

as for the sprite, i didnt think that would be cheating! oh well, it was my first one and did every thing else myself (shading, colouring)! ill have to do it the same way as you lot when i come to do other views... ill see if i can do it as good!

[m]
    lol, calm down boy! I'm talking about original in FLASH!!! All the things I quoted are obviously not original cos they have names like "the sims", "starfox", "wipeout" etc! I know I said don't suck up that was rather rude! mbenny, I never said that you were cheating, maybe you should attack the person who claimed it in the first place, to be quite honest I couldn't give a sh|t where your sprite came from! I commented on it being a good sprite and whether you copied it or not, it still is, maybe your just angry that someone found the picture?!?!?

RipX

about the sprite, not angry atall, i separated angry and normal with asterisks! saves double posting...

I don't understsnd why you were angy in the first place though, I'm just trying to generate some new ideas in this forum due to the lack of them! I am forgetting the tile stuff, I've got so bored with it's monotonous rubbish! As I said maybe you'll see my 3773 come into play in a few monthes and that's where i'm leaving this thread on this subject.

You try to inspire people to get some new exceiting ideas and get attacked? That is about the essence of this board!

RipX

re-read your post, it was very aloof with not much substance / proof

Can i just say 2 things!

Mbenney has done Nothing wrong... he shouldn't be angry someone found an image. Think about it, you see a picture and turn it into a pixel style drawing...

Talent is required to do this!! So, all i can say is, good for mbenney for making such a great sprite!

RipX, i still understand what you are saying, but i think we should GET OFF THIS TOPIC ALREADY!

[/rant]

was the character traced or drawn from scratch

Originally posted by fospher.com
    was the character traced or drawn from scratch
    well i had to draw it by hand (on paper) but i did 'copy' the photo to get the stance off the screen, then i finelined it in pen, scanned, and got strong black lines by fill bucketing the pen lines in photoshop. (then i posted the first preview) then i reduced to 70x70, did a pixel outline (posted that too!) then fill bucketed the base colours, then shaded. job done, dont care wot u buggers say im pleased with it

[m]
    Last edited by mbenney; 02-27-2003 at 03:13 PM.

Originally posted by mbenney
    job done, dont care wot u buggers say im pleased with it
    And so you should be... it looks good

dont let the man drag you down skate_boarder_43's Avatar
    made a healer. i gotta make her bigger next time though. she looks pretty small.
    Attached Images Attached Images