A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can't reference external movies

Mr. Nice Guy

Can't reference external movies

I am trying to make a flash presentation that will play off of a cd. I want to make it work for both mac and pc platforms. The deal is, since I won't be able to make the mac projector autorun I want to place the mac projector in another folder (seperate from the pc projector). Then when I play the mac projector I want to reference the same movies that the pc projector uses.

My problem is when I seperate the mac projector from the other movies, I can't get it to reference the other movies in the other folder. I thought you could reference movies in another directory.

Here is the directory setup on the cd:
    autorun.inf (to autorun the pc projector)
    -mac (folder)
    -start (mac projector)
    -pc (folder)
    -all of the swfs and pc exe

Here is the code I've tried:
    loadMovie ("../pc/main.swf",1);

I even tried to put a folder in the mac folder that had all the movies in it and tried to reference them. No luck there.

Here was the code I tried there:
    loadMovie ("a/main.swf",1);

What am I doing wrong?

copy the files into the mac folder, To load a sperate swf the Flash Dictionary specifies that you must have the movies in the same directory

Mr. Nice Guy
    Sorry I didn't post this yesterday when I figured it out.

I was referencing the external swf from the projector correctly (loadMovie ("../pc/filename.swf", 1)) but what I wasn't doing was referencing the rest of the movies the same way. Even though the swfs reside in the same folder with each other they have to reference each other as if they were in the same folder as the projector they were called up into.

Sounds kinda screwy but makes since now. Does that sound too confusing? Now I can stop pulling my hair out, for now.