A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D text effect

3D text effect

can some explain to me how this effect was done with the text "INTOX"....the text is solid then becomes a transparent grid.

It is shown here and on the contact page at www.intoxproductions.com

here is the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Create two different renders...one gradient filled, raster or whatever, and one that is just outlines. For a static image, you would composite the two images in Photoshop. You can also bring in the plain gradient version into Flash and then fade the second image in on top of it in another layer.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

but what app would u use first? I am very new to 3d apps...would you be able to show me a sample if u have time??

I guess I just assume nowadays that everyone either has or knows about Swift3D. You can find it at www.erain.com and it is what I used to create the example below. I exported two images as I explained before and put them together in Photoshop.

mrush

thanks alot rush...I have Swift 3D...but I wasn't sure if maybe another 3D app was used.
    Now based on the 4 pics you posted...the first one was created in Swift3D and then saved as a jpg? Ok..then you also exported the same image in Swift using the two options you listed in Pic 2.
    Now in Pic 3 I get confused...where are you conducting the Quick Mask? Still in Swift? Then you take a screenshot and bring it into PS?

Sry for all the questions...

Here is a screenshot of the full image while in Quick Mask Editing Mode in Photoshop. Yeah, I guess I could have made it a bit more clear in the screenshot. It's more of a composite of information rather than a tutorial.

The two images I was working with are the ones in the upper left corner and the one in the lower right corner. The one in the lower right was exported from Swift3D as a .SWF. I unchecked "Fill Object" under the Fill Options and checked "Include Edges" under the Edge Options. I also chose to render the entire mesh as opposed to only the outlines. You can change how the mesh looks somewhat by adjusting the Smoothness and Mesh Quality sliders under the Bevel page in the Scene Editor.

You can't import the .SWF directly into Photoshop, so I took a screenshot of it and pasted that into Photoshop. It was a fullscreen screenshot so I cropped out just the display area of the .SWF and pasted it into the document that contained the .JPG with the gradient rendered "RUSH".

This next bit is not documented anywhere else, so I figured I would add it. If I were to import the .SWF with the outlines into Flash, the background would be stripped away and I would be left with only the outlines. This is not the case when you paste a screenshot of it into Photoshop...you still have the background to content with. What I wanted to end up with was only blue outlines, so in order to add some color to the lines the first thing I did was go to Image>Adjust>Invert. This gave me white lines on a black background...I could have done this in Swift, but hey, I didn't think about it at the time. Now to get the color into the white lines, I went to Image>Adjust>Color Balance and adjusted the sliders until I had the color I wanted. I wanted to end up with a blue color and I would normally place the sliders as indicated by the red circles, but I'm going to invert this again so I actually went to the opposite ends of the spectrum I was trying to achieve.

After adjusting the color balance I inverted the image again and then adjusted the layer blending mode to "Color". This gets rid of the white background. So, the image in the upper right corner is a result of placing the image in the lower right corner over the image in the upper left corner and performing the steps listed above.

I hope that clears things up some.
    mrush

wow Rush! thanks alot for all your time you spent on this...I greatly appreciate it! It was very detailed and I will try that method out shortly...thanks again!

Mario

Glad I could help out.
    mrush