A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: variable weight lines

variable weight lines

Does the Flash spec support true variable weight lines?

I know it supports pressure sensitivity and can create the look of variable weight lines with what is actually separate strokes on the outside and a fill in between them.

But I want a variable width line with a single stroke in the middle of it so I can manipulate the line with a single drag rather than having to drag both strokes separately.

kentbraun,

Did you guys ever get the raster to vector (OOPS! fixed mistake) conversion at digicel?

I remember from the wildtakes show you were going to meet with John K to discuss its development.

Any news on that?

Just curious
    Last edited by CartoonLarry; 02-28-2003 at 01:31 AM.

Re: variable weight lines

Originally posted by kentbraun
    Does the Flash spec support true variable weight lines?

I know it supports pressure sensitivity and can create the look of variable weight lines with what is actually separate strokes on the outside and a fill in between them.

But I want a variable width line with a single stroke in the middle of it so I can manipulate the line with a single drag rather than having to drag both strokes separately.
    Unfortunately, no, Flash doesn't support true variable weight lines the same way a program like Illustrator does (though I suggested it to the developers at the last Flashforward in NY).

Let's keep our fingers crossed for the next version - seems like this would be a useful tool to keep file sizes down, or at least ease production some.

variable weight lines and raster to vector

Thanks CNO, for your response.
    We were hoping to see support for variable weighted lines by now. It's too bad they're not supported yet. They would offer much greater artistic and editing capabilities as well as reduce file size.

CartoonLarry,
    We kept getting pulled away by customers who wanted other features for their series work and stuff so we had to drop it for a while. But we're back on it again now. The raster to vector stuff is pretty much done. Now we're just fine tuning the conversion to flash and working on reducing the number of points without changing the lines. It should be available for beta before too long. Keep an eye on our web site.