A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What do you think a ripped site is?

What do you think a ripped site is?

What do you think, are the requirements for a ripped web site?

The other day, I was reading a closed thread about ?ripped? ?overly inspired? sites that exist on the Internet. Most were claiming that it was a 2a rip. Anyway that?s not my point.

The site in question never claimed to be the originators of the design concept. It was simply someone that liked the way 2a was set up and learned how to duplicate the look
    And effects.

Personally I love the look and feel of whoswe, and my own personal site, is a direct reflection of that. Do I claim to have come up with the idea of a metal ball all of a sudden pulling out a bunch of guns? no. But it looked so neat that I had to see if I could duplicate it. And I think I got close.

It amuses me anyway. I can make claim to the artwork, but not the concept or idea.
    Does that make me a ripper?
    Allot of you would say yes.
    Some would say no.

In my own opinion what constitutes a ripped web site.
    1. Stolen graphics, like ripping apart a swf file or using screen capture
    2. Stolen sounds, if not available publicly
    3. Stolen words, such as going to 2a and copying everything they say about their concept ideas ect..

So maybe my requirements for ripping are kind of soft. You see I work on a Macintosh and programs for ripping apart SWF files just don?t exist, so I have no real idea of what a program like that could do.

I would like to hear your requirements for a ripped or overly inspired site.
    Please do not include URLs since that would ultimately get the thread closed.

DOUBLE BACON BURGER DOG

do you really care that much?

i dont believe in the idea of ripping.

unless you do it to make a profit from someone elses work.

trying to duplicate other successful sites is a good way to learn how to do things much like learning jimi hendrix songs is a good way to learn to play that kind of guitar. i think you will find yourself coming up with your own concepts once you have mastered the skills needed to duplicate something.

just dont sell someone else's stuff or take credit for it.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    What is considered a rip is usually determined by the original creator when they think "hey he/she/they ripped my work"

Was Coke ripped off by Pepsi? Was Pepsi ripped off by other similar Colas??

Unless someone is using your source and your original images/swfs/html/scripts/etc. I wouldn't consider it a rip.

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    I remember coming across this issue when researching tDR frontman Ian Anderson.

The earliest tDR art/design pieces misappropiated images, styles or corporate logos. Sometimes, people would say something to the effect of "You just copied it, you didn't even modify it." Anderson responded by basically saying, "we're making a point with it. If we had modified it, then I would see that as trying to pass it off as our own, what we were doing was a respectful pastiche, a homage almost - in effect we're saying: 'your packaging is great, your product is great, and that's why we're using it."

I agree. Unfortunately, it's hard to define the difference between homage and sheer duplication. But its everywhere (in product design, typography...) I think the real difference relies on whether the artist/designers intention was to actually pass it off as their own or not.

<<< Hopefully less of an a**.

DJ_SFinKz
    Basicly any text which is say ~95% the same words is ripped (eg company names changed).

Sounds im not to sure about, I haven't has alot of experience.

However graphics, for example:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200104051...pixelcore.com/
    and
    http://www.signup.co.il

Theres no doubt about it. You can really say a 'percentage' for graphics or anything like that. You have to take it on a case by base basis.
    Formerly known as DJ_sFinKz
    http://www.devay.com
    http://www.quickurl.com
    http://www.designerchat.net

mullet king
    right click>save as
    file>save as
    copy>paste

^ rips

Originally posted by mx_kid
    right click>save as
    file>save as
    copy>paste

^ rips
    You have right click on your MAC

I looked at the similarities of the pixel core thingy.
    yes they seem exactly the same.

I also considered, the idea as stated above about right button click save as. yes thats okay if you want to copy html code or text

but since this is a flash forum I was really talking about graphics and flash.

I personnally believe that if the original artist, challenges your work, and you cannot show psd files of fla files which are different than the originals, you are morally bound to remove it.

and yes I agree, that ripping is done all the time, in allot of medias. I once worked for a t-shirt maker that only wanted designs that were parodees of movies or other high profile slogans. That was the reason I left, there was no real artistic challenge in the job, with that criteria.
    DOUBLE BACON BURGER DOG

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    www.pirated-sites.com

Food for thought.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Boys and girls, most of the sites on the web are designs, not pieces of art. I am disgusted when I see sbc claim that they own rights to a certain style of navigation and i am a disgusted when I see people slander other people when they use monochromatic colors or a three column layout. I think if some to the chronic rip pointer outers were musicians, they would call the I, IV, V progression a rip, or a G chord. There's a difference between lack of expression and following convention.

Some people need to get off thier high horse.

F.K. = rip artists

the colors yellow and blue were obviously a rip of the sun and the sky.

Re: What do you think a ripped site is?

Originally posted by Vr2iL
    What do you think, are the requirements for a ripped web site?

The other day, I was reading a closed thread about ?ripped? ?overly inspired? sites that exist on the Internet. Most were claiming that it was a 2a rip. Anyway that?s not my point.

The site in question never claimed to be the originators of the design concept. It was simply someone that liked the way 2a was set up and learned how to duplicate the look
    And effects.

Personally I love the look and feel of whoswe, and my own personal site, is a direct reflection of that. Do I claim to have come up with the idea of a metal ball all of a sudden pulling out a bunch of guns? no. But it looked so neat that I had to see if I could duplicate it. And I think I got close.

It amuses me anyway. I can make claim to the artwork, but not the concept or idea.
    Does that make me a ripper?
    Allot of you would say yes.
    Some would say no.

In my own opinion what constitutes a ripped web site.
    1. Stolen graphics, like ripping apart a swf file or using screen capture
    2. Stolen sounds, if not available publicly
    3. Stolen words, such as going to 2a and copying everything they say about their concept ideas ect..

So maybe my requirements for ripping are kind of soft. You see I work on a Macintosh and programs for ripping apart SWF files just don?t exist, so I have no real idea of what a program like that could do.

I would like to hear your requirements for a ripped or overly inspired site.
    Please do not include URLs since that would ultimately get the thread closed.

A. There are tools like this for the Mac and for Linux too....

B. Almost every creative work borrows from another creative work. Heck don't show me ripped sites... Show me purely original sites.

C. The really smart people realize this. Did you know Jefferson was against design patents? Did you know that copyright used to last only 14 years renewable for 14 more years instead of the life of the author + 75 or 95 years if owned by a corp?? Likewise contrary to the MPAA and RIAA, Fair use and limitations on copyright is indeed written into the law. Parts 107-122 lay out what limitations there are on copyright. 107 "Fair Use" specifically is here http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

FK's Official A&A Addict
    a site i ripped when the supreme courts ruling says it is ripped

alternatively when the eu court rules it is ripped

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Originally posted by serpent star
    Boys and girls, most of the sites on the web are designs, not pieces of art. I am disgusted when I see sbc claim that they own rights to a certain style of navigation and i am a disgusted when I see people slander other people when they use monochromatic colors or a three column layout. I think if some to the chronic rip pointer outers were musicians, they would call the I, IV, V progression a rip, or a G chord. There's a difference between lack of expression and following convention.

Some people need to get off thier high horse.

F.K. = rip artists

the colors yellow and blue were obviously a rip of the sun and the sky.

No ones denying that web designs are not pieces of art.

But there is definitely a difference between inspiration/influence and purely ripping.