A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Books to buy - Advise please

Books to buy - Advise please

Hello,

Just poped into the bookstore, as usual left bewildered.
    I'm a newbie to Flash and am looking to get into web/graphic design. Basically I'd love some advise on a few good books.
    Im interested in all the design apps Freehand, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash mx and the like.
    Is there one that integrates a few of these?
    Are there a staple few that are the backbone to most design?
    Any advise much appreciated.........
    Sorry for broad questions.
    Try asking the guy in the bookstore !

Cheers
    Anthony

mullet king
    I like the New Riders books on flash

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Grid Systems of Graphic Design by Josef Muller-Brockmann.

It doesn't teach your applications, but it has very strong theories applicable to both graphic and web design.

<<< Hopefully less of an a**.

Just read the above post on answering "help" questions here. I agree and, if this is in the wrong place can I have some "help" on where should I put it? Since its fairly general ?
    Modorator please feel free to move.......

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I always thought that the O'Reilly series of books (covering all kinds of material) offered a nice learning curve.

The 2nd edition of Moock's actionscript ref. could be a decent investment from this range.

Here's a link to a search in O'Reilly for 'Flash'.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I really liked Derek Franklin / Jobe Makar's book Macromedia Flash MX Actionscripting Advanced Training From The Source. He does a nice blog if you want to check out Dereks writing style. Derek Franklins Site

Really good, easy to follow book on actionscripting.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    and people wonder why a website costs so much... just look at my book shelf. I spend as much on books in a month than many people spend in car payments!

Slightly exaggerated but there are alot of recommended books out there and I seem to own quite a few myself.

Exellent,
    Thanks for all the advise people, I will have a look at all the above titles. It's so good to have all this knowlege at your fingertips.
    Back to the bookstore for me.

i personally think the friends of ed books are terribly written.

now i know that the books aren't shakespeare, but the lack of editing just completely gets in the way of me trying to understand what the books are attempting to teach.

damn english degree

i second the vote for moock's ASDG for Flash MX, and also nominate Jody Keating's Flash MX book.

Big gulps huh?
    STAY AWAY FROM THE BIBLE SERIES!!! i dont know if those are your level or not but make sure to avoid them. Definately check out the "Friends of ED" line...they have not failed at making a book i enjoy reading yet. factual and fun at the same time. I suggest the original New Masters of Flash book...although alittle dated by now it holds some great content.

I'm basically new to Flash. I found the Friends of Ed "Foundation Flash MX" to be outstanding. After I finished it, I didn't open Flash up again for 2-3 months. I was afraid that I'd forgotten everything, but I discoved that I retained about 80% of what I'd learned.

For Photoshop, I highly recommend "Photoshop Channel Chops", but only if you already know the basics.