A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Q: How long are you willing to wait for a site to load up?

Q: How long are you willing to wait for a site to load up?

So what is it? 10 seconds...20 seconds....30 seconds? At what point do you say, "to hell with it. i'm out of here."

The Minister of No Crap

I'm on a blazing 1.5 Megabit connection. I'm willing to wait about 5 seconds before I my attention's lost and I start doing something else.

Jakob Nielsen says that the average user's attention is lost in 2 seconds. I think he's right.

Scott

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    If the site is information based like a news site, 10 seconds max. Designs sites where info isn't so essential I'm prepared to wait much longer, as long as I get feedback that something is loading and something is happening
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by nocrapchurch
    Jakob Nielsen says that the average user's attention is lost in 2 seconds. I think he's right.
    Scott
    It's official. Jakob Nielsen has Attention Deficit Disorder.

On 56k, which unless otherwise stated at the beginning of a site is still what I think should be used as the connection speed of choice to design for, no more than 30 seconds for complete download (and better that something shows up in the meantime).

HTML'll take much less (you'd hope, anyway) and even the best, most eye-popping Flash intro is too long (in play time) if it takes any longer than this (30 seconds) to download.

Anyway, it could be more accurate to ask 'What file size is too big' because connections are dodgy, and can vary greatly from one to the next. I always try to get in under 100kb for a first-loading swf, and if it hits more than 200kb, I reckon it's time to rethink the concept.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

mullet king
    Im on a 1meg line, need to see something in 3-5secs or Im gone.. unless I am going to a site to accomplish something (pay a bill etc)

I'd have to go along with the 3 - 5 seconds crowd (cable hookup at home). If I don't see anything worthwhile by 10 seconds I'm usually gone unless I have a VERY compelling reason to be there.

Depends. If I see some kind of preview or whatever instead of a blank screen, then I am willing to wait longer then 5 secs. Otherwise: alt F4 and move on....
    "He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" - ?

5 -10 secs tops depending on what i am waiting for..