A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: End user clients:) Good laugh.

Originally posted by drunkenmaster2000
    I don't think I'd have the balls (no pun intended) to ask 3,000 for a flash game. Although I'm known to undercharge (maybe that's why people keep coming back)

But, saying that, I am currently writing a game, that I humbly expect to be the best flash game ever (since RC Hacky, anyway). I was just wondering, other than putting it up on my webspace, would there be people willing to buy it from me? Would be nice if there was, cos I'm doing this for self-entertainment. But after spending some time playing with it, I think it will be well liked by most folks.

I can only hope, I suppose. But if anyone knows of places that buy quality games, give me a shout

preview ? ?

I don't think I'd have the balls (no pun intended) to ask 3,000 for a flash game. Although I'm known to undercharge (maybe that's why people keep coming back)
    As long as you're happy charging what you do and appear to be busy with pleased customers coming back then it's better than over-charging and worrying about not being fair and losing clients

But, saying that, I am currently writing a game, that I humbly expect to be the best flash game ever (since RC Hacky, anyway). I was just wondering, other than putting it up on my webspace, would there be people willing to buy it from me? Would be nice if there was, cos I'm doing this for self-entertainment. But after spending some time playing with it, I think it will be well liked by most folks.

I can only hope, I suppose. But if anyone knows of places that buy quality games, give me a shout
    when the game is finished, send a link with some screenshots and information to reputable websites/agencies that develop/host games and ask about leasing or selling it outright - in the email make sure you state whether it has been used on other sites and that you own the IP - no grabbed images for sprites, no (obvious) copyrighted sounds and music etc. Pay attention to your spelling and leave as much contact information as possible - if you get no reply after a month or so, write a polite follow up asking them if they have had a chance to play and what they think of it - if they don't use it at least you might be able to get a professional opinion on how to improve. If you feel they are helpful/responsive/encouraging maybe arrange to visit them for a chat if you are in the area

flash mangler drunkenmaster2000's Avatar
    thanks, mentuat, I'll bear that in mind. I intend to make this one copyright free (apart from the game itself, which is of a style that's been done before (but *different*)) I'll do the music myself, the graphics too. SoundFX I'll probably have to find on the web somewhere, because I have no tools to create FX.

As for a preview.. When I get a couple of levels in place, and the basic start/game/end coding done, I'll upload a test version for you all to see. At the moment it is barely more than an engine (although quite a nice one).

I might also upload my 'diary', which is basically an A4 book that I scribble all my ideas and theory in. It could help people with the building blocks of a game (it helped me, I've never done a game before)

It's taken 2 weeks so far, so give me another week, and I should have a 3-5 level game for you to tinker with

I dont know, I never realized how diversified this board was (in terms of location). Im in Seattle, WA, USA, and dont really have a problem getting clients. Still, I dont get a lot of Flash requests. I use it for menus and some demonstrations but no full Flash sites. But yeah, age doesnt really matter, unless the client is uncomfortable working with you. I started doing sites when I was 16. Do some free ones, then post em on your site and start charging. Make some biz cards and your golden. And you pretty much need a really nice flash game to get it licenced and make any real money. Wouldnt a flash player for cell phones rock? Making cell phone games in flash!

-Tyler

I'd be happy to make a game for any amount of money.
    But i see what you mean, you probably have a family to feed and bills to pay.
    I usually just make games for fun and if i see someone who needs a game made i chase them down until they change their names and move to mexico.
    I have never actually sold a game to anyone.
    You wish you had a footer like this one.
    >>Shutup<< >>HomeStarRunner!<<

3000 for a pool game is high. It's also an overdone gimmick. at best 1000.

To make, brand and really have a pool game worth coming back to $3000 is a very reasonable price.

Think about it, you need all the physics, ball rules, player rules, graphics, animating, then you need to theme the over all game, add bonuses, backend work for highscores etc...

Then if they want a two player real time game... well...

As I said, $3000 is a very reasonable price, I haven't seen many well made flash pool games, they either have poor physics, bad graphics or some other problems even yahoo pool (I know its not flash) is crap. (You'd expect more from such a well known web brand).

Anyway

Olorin
    Dude I would be blown away if you could pull of making an entire pool game in 3 working days Maybe i'm not doing something right but I can't imagine coding a fully functional pool game let alone doing all the graphics in 3 days. I would have to figure out physics involved so that would be the most time consuming part for me. Something that they also want is a member login and scoring etc... (which to me is easiest part) All these factors into consideration pushes it way over 3 days for me

_______

I have to agree with Markp.com on price and coding etc....

_______

As for the price, u guys must be careful not to do a game/website for "any amount of money". This is the kinda thing that can kill the industry as every guy is trying to do it for any price. There's a difference being competitive and killing the business. Say a top company quotes $3,000 rather quote $2,500 then quote $500 cause you will just bring the level down. This will in turn bring profits down on major companies and cause you to battle to find employment let alone get the salary you should. Something to keep in mind

Wancieho > Really, a pool game wouldn't be too hard to do in 3 days, if I really spent all my time on it. I once did a platform game with 9 levels from scratch, including all the arwork, sounds and music, in just 7 days.

I guess the price for a game also kind of depends on how big the client is. A large company can afford to pay more for a game...

Olorin

Flash Developer on a break
    I agree. There's nothing wrong with being competative, however, don't do it for almost nothing. Certainly if you do it for a company. If it's for a company you're good friends with, do a discount.

However, what you can do is to tell them that you can price unusually low, except that the deadline is 3 weeks later.

| "Keep Flashing!"-Jeroen
    PHP multiplayer? Check this thread: PHPgateway

Okay must be me. Guess I need to start taking lessons

Where can I see this game?
    Last edited by Wancieho; 03-11-2003 at 08:30 AM.

Ahhh, The pricing discussions again

$3000 for a pool game ( or any good game ) is very reasonable, a little on the cheap side.

I have no idea how long it would take to make, but that is not the point. People who can work fast and deliver exceptional quality usually charge more per hour, so it's really about a project itself.

Some guys charge $200 - $300 per hour, so even if it takes only 3 days of work ( at 8 hours )you are looking at over $5000 . As with all things some are worth it, some are not.

I would rather pay somebody $5000 for 3 days of work and have the game after 3 days, than pay somebody the same amount of money for 2 months of work ( assuming quality is the same ).

Throw hourly rates out the window, they are meaningless. The only thing that matters is the quality of the final product.

flash mangler drunkenmaster2000's Avatar
    yeah but I'm usually on the consumer end of games purchasing, which normally runs to around 40. Actually producing something and selling it is not something I have any experience at. I'll have to see how I get on.

If I'd charge $5000 for a game, I'd never get a single client... Perhaps for a huge project like a multiplayer rpg something, but not for a simple game.

Olorin

foul-mouthed chucklehead
    inches away from you, in the 4th dimension....
    seeing as we are discussing the business end of flash, i have a couple questions. see, im a college grad, looking for work, and I have only a little understanding this the business end.

how do you go about 'liscensing' your game? and if a client approaches you, say via email, or even on flashkit...how do you know that he is legit and not some hacker?

furthermore, how does one go about making transactions? It seems to me that you could deliver the product and the client could never pay, or if you were the client you could pay and never recieve.

do you people go through a third party like escrow?

I'm young, and therefore I know not much on this topic, but in my eyes, I see it like this:

1. If you are making the graphics, programming, designing, basically doing all the work for the game, then $3000 sounds about right, if not more.

2. You're cost should also vary depending on who the customer is. If a small, home brewed website with little money, or a non-profit org. wants you to make them a little game, then do it cheap. I'm sure they'd give you their business again in the future (and for more money, of course) if they expanded.

3. If they want this to be a multiplayer game, or want a high score system, or whatever, I'd also bring up the price (maybe $1000, depending on what it is I'd be doing).

4. I guess another way to get the price is to look at how many customers you currently get, think about how long the project(s) will take you, and how much you spend on rent/food/bills/etc. and charge respectively. We don't want homeless developers out there!

Just my four cents.
    Last edited by Lukstr; 03-11-2003 at 02:33 PM.
    - Lukstr

hmm i really hate working on a deadline, especially on something i might not be able to make in time, or at all. but have you ever not been able to get it to them in time?

also how much do you think a game like alien hominid on ng would be worth?

hello to all

i will pay for a pool game.

mail me at:

info@dateclub.co.il
    or
    ukn22@iec.co.il
    and i'll send the details
    expect the unexpected.
    that's what mx is all
    about.

MOD wannabe

---

heuuu... hi everybody...

I know you guys are great flash programmers. YOu might want to help me with something:

I drew a white ball and some colored balls. How can i get those balls to bouce on one and other... Lets say, on a green carpet...?

Wow you found the thread I refered to in your thread piny !

"Wasn't there a thread ages ago about snooker / pool where one of us was offered a joke amount of money to do it or something along those lines ( Nothing to do with you piny, just a flashback ) ?"

It's quite frightening remembering threads from so far back...

Squize.