A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Usability...don't do this!!

-------------

Usability...don't do this!!

What is with these ad banners on steroids!?
    I'm currently on the FK boards (duh!) and I've got this 'msdn subscription' ad banner that keeps expanding when I rollover. When it expands it COVERS ALL MY NAVIGATION!!!
    I've also seen floating flash movies with transparent backgrounds on other sites that just move around your screen for a while and cover all the buttons you want to click.
    I really hope this is not going to become a trend. It's crap!!!
    Users are fickle and don't want to wait to navigate through a site while being subjected to in-your-face advertising.
    Any thoughts?

as far as the advertiser go that is their aim

if the ad is annoying you then you have noticed it

thats why they put adverts in the middle of your favourite tv program rather than just at either end

i cannot see these intrusions going away and if anything, as the technology develops, they'll get worse

the price of capitalism i'm afraid

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar

Re: Usability...don't do this!!

Originally posted by mj97
    What is with these ad banners on steroids!?
    I really hope this is not going to become a trend. It's crap!!!
    It already is a trend, and as Flash is the tool used to create these ads, there are rumours that some future browsers may have an enable/disable Flash content choice (like javascript).

Which, in a word, sucks.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

-------------
    Scrote, you're right the advertiser did get me to notice them. That's great for the advertiser...job successful. That's not the only effect though. FK also got me to notice them, in a negative way. It's in a sites best interest to make the users experience productive and pleasent. So far today FK has failed.
    I realize ad banners generate revenue for sites and I can support that. I just can't support it when they become overly intrusive.

Perhaps this http://www.unitedvirtualities.com/whatisashosh.htm will make an interesting read for you? Shoshkele! Dumbest buzz word ever.
    "He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" - ?

Señor member
    I don't get any of these ads using IE6. Not seen anything other than the normal banners.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Ive noticed those MS expanding banners. I agree that those are annoying, but the first time I saw them I thought they were really cool... From an advertisers side, mission accomplished!!! .... aah, they will go any distance to get ahead in marketing......that reminds me of that messenger service spam on XP and 2000 boxes...grrr

Originally posted by jamble7000
    I don't get any of these ads using IE6. Not seen anything other than the normal banners.
    Ditto. Never seen anything other than banner ads at the top.