A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help! Frame Rates: Projector Fast, BROWSER SLOW?

Help! Frame Rates: Projector Fast, BROWSER SLOW?

I have a SWF, WHICH IS NOT ON THE INTERNET --- IT'S ON MY HARD DRIVE.

Played via Projector, frame rates are as they should be.

Played in an HTML page in IE6.0 LOCALLY FROM THE HARD DRIVE, frame rates are 20% slower.

There is no sound --- just graphics. SWF is 600x800 pixels, with light animation ONLY.

Can anyone please indicate why the browser plays the SWF slower? AGAIN, THIS SWF IS ON MY HARD DRIVE.

Thank you!!!

Banned
    No need to shout really!

Did try to answer you yesterday. I don't have IE6.0 and even if I did, how could I somewhat test your .exe if you don't make available for download.

What's the point of having a projector file play in a browser window in the first place? And don't you have another browser to check it on?

Oldnewbie, my apologies!!! Didn't mean to come across as shouting! I greatly thank you for your response.

It's just that I wasn't clear in my first message that this is not a connection-speed issue, or a sound issue, etc., because I'm doing all this testing straight from my hard drive.

This is a demo that the client will put on CD (projector) and their website (SWF). The reason this is such a problem is that I will be synchronizing external MP3's to the anim later.

I have the HTML, SWF, and EXE (1.7MB) at http://www.avtutorials.com/vestitrak/test.zip

These are the confusing numbers:

MACHINE 1: PIII - 500MHz
    Playback time: Projector: 27 secs.
    Playback time: Browser (IE 5.5): 23 secs.

MACHINE 2: PIV - 2.2GHz
    Playback time: Projector: 18 secs.
    Playback time: Browser (IE 6.0): 24 secs.

Note the following:
    1) Playback varies greatly on the same machine between browser and projector, and
    2) On MACHINE 1, browser is faster than projector. On MACHINE 2, projector is faster than browser.

Oldnewbie, or anyone else, just wondering if you might have any ideas about the above projector/browser framerate difference problem, when viewing the same content from your hard drive (not the internet)?

Thank you for your help.

Banned
    They seem roughly the same on my machine... +/-20 seconds.

PIV - 1.8 - W.ME - IE5.5 - Last versions of all the Flash 6 players.
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 03-09-2003 at 09:09 PM.

Do I understand that you're also seeing a playback differnce between browser and projector? If so, it looks like this is a problem. Now I'm trying to figure out why nobody else has noticed this problem.

Banned
    No I'm saying that they're roughly the same on my machine. The projector's and the .swf's (with your html) viewed through the browser, but not online!

OK, thank you. I'll keep trying to figure this thing out...

Banned
    Wasn't that the question? Seems to point to IE6.0!

As for your first machine (using 5.5), it's only 500MHz, and to say this holds basic animation is an understatement!