A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Modifying a drawn line

Modifying a drawn line

Hey all,

In my flash application, the user can draw simple line by clicking and dragging the mouse (like Paint). I want to make it so that it's possible for the user to select his line, and, by clicking and dragging, be able to resize it as he wants. How can I do that?

Thats a good question. Ive been searching the forums for a way to do the same thing. My current whiteboard type application can draw point to pint lines but there is no way to modify them invidually. The only method I have seen is to make a line mc where on drag all you do is scale and stretch the black line type clip and of course each line created is essentially and invidual clip whick can be drag and so forth. But if you have found a solution could you please reply knot?? thanks
    (aka Rich81)

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    if you want individual differentiation between lines like that, they would need to be drawn in seperate movieclips. This, of course, as you can imagine, will make things very hard for the Flash player to handle once you have a good number of lines on the screen making reaction time (playback) really slow.

At anyrate, in doing that you can then distort that actual movieclip, scaling it, rotating it etc to get the desired effect. For that you can use something like this:
    http://proto.layer51.com/d.aspx?f=636
    Alternatively, you could clear and redraw that line for each manipulation made effectively not altering the movieclip itself at all, rather whatever was drawn in it. The advantages here are that you wont get the distortion that you would by altering the movieclip but at the same time it would be harder to work with and control.

free-webmaster-resource.com deamothul's Avatar
    The book BYTE-SIZE FLASH MX has a good tutorial on creating a drawing application, sorta like paint.
    I know it goes deep in this tutorial, and i lost interest(cause i like eyeCandy and stuff, not drawing lines like paint.)
    Perhaps you should look it up in the bookstore.could be useful 2 u .
    greetz from deamothul - the script keeper -

oh cool transform tool but...

Oh the FreeTransform tool Senoc looks fantastic !. Hey mate I just posted a question in kirupa as Im not sure how to get each line created in its own movie clip (so of course I can add freetranform) , at the start it seemed pretty easy, but then of course like everything it died..

Anyway here's my kirupa posting...
    http://www.kirupaforum.com/forums/sh...threadid=21722
    (aka Rich81)