A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pop Overs?? :S

13 yr old Flash Whizz :)

Pop Overs?? :S

HYA PPLZ

I wanna put a flash ad banner on my site. I want it to appear over the top of all the content on the page, how can i do that
    I hope You understand what i'm goin on about coz i don't :S

Fankx
    Luke Coulton, User since V3.0

hates sounds in preloaders.
    If you mean what i think you mean, then you should use the transparent background function. Sadly, Bret said (wrote) something about that windowmodes only works in IE, so if you really want it, you have to make a javascript that detects if you have IE, and then store that information in a cookie...
    hurg.

I know what you mean, But how do i make it so that it is over the top of the content on my page

hates sounds in preloaders.
    Okay, this is basic html. Since flash elements in web pages always appear on top of everything, all you have to do is use "absolute positioning". This is a basic feature of html editing programs, an i've for an example seen it in frontpage.
    hurg.

"absolute positioning" ?

I don't know anything about "absolute positioning", ive looked at all my books on HTML, but it isnt in there. Can you tell me how?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thankx

Re: "absolute positioning" ?

Originally posted by Jiblob
    I don't know anything about "absolute positioning", ive looked at all my books on HTML, but it isnt in there. Can you tell me how?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thankx
    Really it's a LAYER thing. And what you're talking about is having the flash in layer and moving the layer around. There is an example of this on my deadyeti area.
    http://deadyeti.com/blanius/pulloutmenu.html

if you look at the HTML source you'll see the DIV layer tag

<div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; width:200px; height:115px; z-index:1; left: -566px; top: 10px">

The menu is on a layer that is partically off screen and when you click in the movie's button it fires off a javascript call to the move layer timeline function in the HTML page that moves the layer onto the screen.

This is pretty much what you want. Also use the paramater wmode=transparent so the background is transparent. NOTE!!!! Layers and WMODE are NOT cross browser compatible. so it may not work in NS or Mozilla correctly. If you look at the very complex code on YAHOO when you see one of those layered ad's you'll seee ALOT of browser detection javascript that will show something other than that type of ad.