A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Message Boards

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar

Message Boards

I need to set up an online community for a business that I am starting. I am trying to decide what board I should use...

I have narrowed it down to

Yabb cause it's supposed to be lightwieght, easy to install and fairly configurable.

PHPBB cause I liked the stock skins especially the one that looks just like a VBulletin board

Invisionboard Cause jamble seems to think it's good and I kinda consider him to be "FK's Message Board Afficianado"

any advice? I need easy to install, can be cgi or php / mysql. I need fast, configurable and skinnable.

please tell me what to use and why.

Señor member

Re: Message Boards

Originally posted by serpent star
    I need to set up an online community for a business that I am starting. I am trying to decide what board I should use...

I have narrowed it down to

Yabb cause it's supposed to be lightwieght, easy to install and fairly configurable.

PHPBB cause I liked the stock skins especially the one that looks just like a VBulletin board

Invisionboard Cause jamble seems to think it's good and I kinda consider him to be "FK's Message Board Afficianado"

any advice? I need easy to install, can be cgi or php / mysql. I need fast, configurable and skinnable.

please tell me what to use and why.
    bugger, I just typed a nice long post singing invisionboard's praised and it didn't register

Suffice to say, go for invisionboard, it's a doddle to install (5 mins) it's easy to skin, it's very fast and fully feature packed

You must have a MySQL db to run it and it's php based
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

YaBB - the most hack prone but cool looks by default

Invision -PROS: Free, very feture rich and easily skinnable (as Jamble sez)
    CONS: Requires a MYSQL db compulsoryly . Also has no Proper Backup Databse system , last version i installed . You need to do a manual DB backup .

PHPBB : PROS -One of the most oldest FREE mesageboards . Largeno . of users worldwide . Many skins and hacks available .
    CONS : I dont like the Admin CP , after using the InvisionBoard Admin CP

vBulletin :PROS - The best in my opiion if hyo can afford commercial Messagboard . largest no,. of users worldwide , inspite of being a Paid product . Largest no. of hacks , Mods, works with various other PHP based softwares and Scripts by Default .
    CONS : PAID not free

I've experimented with many of the boards out there, and I think vBulletin is definitely the most solid app. Yes, you have to pay for it, but you'll also get support, access to updates, etc., etc., etc. It's also extremely easy to install, and security patches, and software updates are issued regularly.

Right now my boards see over 2 million page views a month, and we've yet to have a software related crash or failure.

vBulletin 3 is supposed to have some great new features as well. Looking forward to that.

I am an all-out PhpBB fan. Since I know it well, and have learned its template system, I doubt I will go with anything else... at least in the forseeable future.

i use
    invisionboard..love it..just love it..easy install easy to maintain
    and for others i use a asp boards snitz forums.. works good

I have used Snitz too and have had no problems.