A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pressing same button twice takes you to different frames. Why?

Pressing same button twice takes you to different frames. Why?

First of all, I am quite new to Flash MX so bear with me

I have a movieclip stage that is basically consisting of a menu (5 buttons) on the left and a main textframe (dynamic) on the right. There is also a layer containing a border that equals the size of the stage.

Clicking on a menu button will take the user to a specific frame on the main timeline where the appropriate contents will be shown in the main textframe. So far so good. You press "button1" and "text1" is shown, same goes with the other buttons. There is a stop action in the border layer on the specific frame to prevent the movie from continue playing.

Now, while displaying "text1", if you press the "button1" again it will switch to "text2". "Text2" should be accessed by pressing "button2", not "button1" twice. Why is this? How can I prevent this from happening? Pressing "button1" a third time will switch back to "text1".

I tried to put all buttons and texts on different layers and even with blank keyframes between keyframes on the timeline, but that didn't help.

Anyone?

Cheers.
    *T*

By the way,
    All frames containing the main text fields are labelled and the buttons point to the specific labels, not to the frame number.

*T*

Not that i'm sure i have an answer to your question, but i've tryed the same.

i found out that i had some actions(links) under the Moviefile...
    thats why i got to two different locations....when pressing a button :-)

hope it helps
    mirrorman

Thanks, mirrorman, but apart from button actions I only have 5 frameactions in this movieclip. They are all stop actions and are placed in the same frames as the 5 textfields. So I still haven't found a solution to this one yet.

I know it's not a big thing and the movie still works alright, but it's very annoying.

Cheers,
    *T*

I had the same probs ages ago, im not sure but i think i remember it was something to do with the goto action.

gotoAndPlay should be changed to gotoAndStop, you can then remove the stop actions from each individual frame as they are not needed, hope this helps.

I don't know how you have scripted your buttons but it should not happen if each button has its own script like on(release){function} instead of button.load=function(){function}. I had some problems with that.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Originally posted by cozy
    gotoAndPlay should be changed to gotoAndStop
    You're absolutely right! Thanks, that saved me a lot of work! It's usually the little details that mess up everything, right? At least for a newbie like myself

I worked on this for a couple of hours since I posted the message and managed to find another way to get around it as well (a lot more complicated though). See, the menu actually consists of several images inside a scrollpane, which communicates with the textfield frames on the timeline. I put each textfield (+ 1 frame of each of the other layers) in a different scene and added a stop action there instead. So the menu called the scene instead of the frame. It works perfectly well, but your way was a lot easier, so I'll stick to that.

Thanks again!

*T*

Wow! I didn't even know what my problem was until I randomly read this post! Thanks!