A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: bmp/jpg -> vector -> flash ???

Life Member

bmp/jpg -> vector -> flash ???

Hi everyone
    Is there a way that i can get an image, convert it to a vector and then put it in flash?

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Several ways to do it.

a) Import the image, and "Trace Bitmap" in Flash. I would not recommend this, as I don't think it ever comes out as good as I would like it. If you are working with simple images it might work, but with more complex imagery, you'd likely have to draw it in a vector program.

b) Trace it. If you are used to using the pen tool, its a breeze. You can use a vector-based program like Freehand or Illustrator and then just use the pen tool to trace the image manually. Then import to Flash.

c) Use a program. There are programs that automatically trace images, but I don't have much experience with them, so I can't give an honest testimony of their usefulness.

Overall, I'd recommend manual tracing for the most reliable results.

<<< Hopefully less of an a**.

Life Member

damn i figured it out

It resides in flash, i guess i learn something new everyday

Select Modify> Trace Bitmap.

When the above dialog box appears adjust the settings:
    Colour Treshold - the amount each pixel will vary from the pixel next to it before is is viewed as another colour. The larger the number the lower the number of vectors created.
    Minimum Area - entering values between 1 and 1000 will set the minimum size a vector shape can be created by the trace.
    Curve Fit - determines how closely the traced shapes follow the original bitmap colours.
    Corner Treshold - the amount a curve can bend before it's turned into a corner.

Life Member
    we posted about th same time
    thanks for your help i might also try the different solutions that you've suggested teow

You're making dig deep into the links. could also try teh freeware version here:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/softsoft/wintopo/index.htm

Also:
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/bit...tor+conversion
    Wash My Dirty Mouth