A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: >> Share your photoshop creation thread.

Its gif, so if the quality is low....sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hello.

a pic i did for designologue.com
    blah.

just like everyone else went thru a grunge phase:

maybe.

2 + 2 = 5
    No-Tec - That is some bad ass stuff! For the grunge one I really like the transition from the white to the picture of the hands. Most people, well actually just me, just use one color for their brushes, but you used both black and white brushes. Awesome creations.

WMLeeBo - Neato. The vectors really grab your eye.

Saint B - I have never seen anything quite like that before. Its really nice to see some new ideas around. Your skills are really coming along. Honestly that is my favorite one so far.

Keep them coming everyone .
    Last edited by Adv7rsus; 05-25-2003 at 10:17 PM.

[size=1]Peace out fk. Thanks for all the good times .

This a banner I made for my site... Im not good at graphic design, but I would like to learn(I'm new to Photoshop also)

Any opinions? Something I could add to it or change to make it better?

Thanx!
    I'm still learning Flash!

the fundamentals

some of this stuff is sickening. as good designers we need to remember that it's about the piece as a whole not just a cheesy effect that is here 6 months ago and already long gone...remember your typography skills (if you ever learned any)...remember your word and image associations...the fundamentals...composition...things of that nature. throw away the effects. it's the worst bad habit to get into. they are only there for however many other millions of people who want to be good designers and can't do it with what's important.

Are you referring to the use of the lens flare?

<3
    Well not just that.

I myself use filters as well, mainly gaussian blur and unsharp mask and the occasional shear and spherize I see no harm though.

Filters and brushes are the keys to good PS'ing. Unfortunately, filters include the lens flare. I just don't like the lens flare. That one distinctive filter is seen everywhere.

Originally posted by gdstudios
    Filters and brushes are the keys to good PS'ing.

nah man. some of the best stuff ive seen has been done without filters. maybe not as visually appealing to other because it doesnt involve a zoomed motion blur thing with random 3d objects every which with catchy techno sayings in times new roman font "taking is back to the old school".

some of this stuff is sickening. as good designers we need to remember that it's about the piece as a whole not just a cheesy effect that is here 6 months ago and already long gone...remember your typography skills (if you ever learned any)...remember your word and image associations...the fundamentals...composition...things of that nature. throw away the effects. it's the worst bad habit to get into. they are only there for however many other millions of people who want to be good designers and can't do it with what's important.
    who are you talking about? and can we see some of your stuff please?
    maybe.

zeroing in

first off, let me just clear myself up. a lot of photoshop filters and time savers are very useful in certain circumstances and situations. as for things like the lens flare, yes. that filter should be erased from ourlives. overused and i don't think there's a place or situation you would ever actually really want to use it. it always just seemed cheap whenever i saw it as well. something a photographer, years back, never wanted and then suddenly became popular as an "on purpose accident" i think and then really whored up by adobe in filter form...and the most popular use for a while seemed to be a space type scene with a bright star and some crazy awful 3d text.

i'm not really referring to any one person on here, as i dont want to single out or be condescending, i just want to point out that there's many solutions to one problem and like any other tool, filters are just that. tools. i would suggest use out of necessity and not create good work. a good designers eye will see gradients and drop shadows and most of the time look away in disgust. in my experience only. example: if you had a can of spray paint that was glossy black, you would never go around and spray everything in your glossy black because there would be no difference and everything would be very dark obviously. a cheap filter like twirl or spherize is seen right away by most designers, art directors, illustrators...whoever youre trying to touch with the work...when someone with experience sees lots of filters cluttering everything up thats all they tend to see. everything looks the same. a big filter piece. i would suggest practicing restraint and trying a more "hands on" approach to effects.

as for my work, unfortunately i've recently taken down my website for a complete overhaul. it was over a year and 1/2 old so it was well overdue. sorry i don't have anything actually published on the web now to view quickly but maybe someone would be into one these collaboration things. come up with a good idea and message and maybe create something that will make someone think. peace

you're exactly right. people new to designing are looking for the best results in the shortest amount of time. which are where filters come in. But filters - usually - arent, by good designers, just used.

i think you can use a lense flare, but not like on the top layer when you're completely done with the picture. ive used twirl and blur in tons of my pictures, but in the final picture you cant tell i used them. ya know?

i think its all how you use the filters. along with any other elements of a piece of artwork. every element should have a reason to be in there. maybe...
    maybe.

2 + 2 = 5
    My idea of a good work of digital art is something that conveys a theme or idea and is also visually appealing to the eye. It does not matter if you use a filters or brushes so long as your peice is original and fulfills its purpose. I think it is silly to bicker over how people are creating their art. All that matters is the final product no matter how easy or how complicated it was to make.

just to annoy some of you 'keep it simple' people...

I love it qetret!

FK's Helper Monkey!
    there's some great work in here!

I felt like participating

2 + 2 = 5
    I am digging all the 3d work. Nice job Q and webmonkey!

<3
    a cheap filter like twirl or spherize is seen right away by most designers, art directors, illustrators
    Aaargh, cheap?! First of all, I used the spherise filter a few times in this dev. Now, can you tell if if I've used spherise or not? I myself use filters and I don't care if you call me a rookie or a noob for that. I believe that filters (I don't consider blur and sharpen as filters imo) are alright to use, as long as 1) it's not very evident or very obvious in the final piece 2) you use it along with other hands-on effects and 3) you use the filter in small areas, not practically the whole image

when someone with experience sees lots of filters cluttering everything up thats all they tend to see.
    The thing is, not a lot of people have experience. People use filters to create some sort of eyecandy and generally, it's not expected to be scrutinised by designers with authority etc. There are some people that take this seriously and have never used a filter in fear of being branded a 'noob', but what you have to understand is that there are others who just want to create some sort of desktop eyecandy and I'm fine with that, yet I don't expect something like a filter-embossed mugshot of a cat ending up in Australian INFront or a Design is Kinky cover.

A majority of the people in Flash Kit are male 15-18 (from what I've seen somewhere anyway), there are distribution of 'copies' of PS, PSP etc so you may be scrutinising certain people that aren't into this seriously, y'know? Like mucking around with PS and see what eyecandy you can come up with and other ****e

But well there are others who are in this profession and I think that with those certain people who use a lot of filters in some readymade image, I think, are the audience that would find your reply some sort of heads up or something.

OK, we have our own preferences. I admit that I'm not a big fan of 3d abstract. We all have our own definitions on what the difference is between an artwork and eyecandy.

No-Tec, I've been to that grunge phase myself too

true
    Last edited by No-Tec; 05-31-2003 at 10:07 AM.
    maybe.

Re: thanks!

Originally posted by svetko

Eyenovation, the girl is a photo by a cool photographer, whose name i forgot again..
    using someone elses photo without permission is not ethical; not giving the photographer credit right off the bat is flat out illegal and very wrong.

2 + 2 = 5
    My new cover for my website:

It is just a simple photograph of me on the tramp. I scanned a King-Soopers paper grocery bag and layered over the image for some texture effect.