A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Magninja

MOD wannabe

Magninja

Remember this Kung fu robots game ? A friend came up with this title (Magninja) which I think is pretty cool. Now, I'm only at level 3 and my intention is to make at least 7 or 8 levels. But my filesize is pretty damn big. I can still low down the sound quality and cut down a few things but will it really get the filesize down ?

Anyway, my question is, does the game worth it yet? How can i get to shrink the filesize? Help me !!!

arrows to move
    8 = jumping side kick
    4 = left punch
    5 = right punch
    6 = side kick
    9 = Super power electrik attack...

http://www.freewebs.com/popshop/flash/Combots1.html

i think 1mb isn't too bad for a game with a large window size, great graphics and depth. however if you wanna shave off a few kb you might look at optimaze www.erain.com. i ran your .swf through my copy and it came down to 850k. i did loose a little quality but i just did a quick global optimization. I think if you spent some time you would be looking at between 700-800k without a noticable loss of quality.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Also warn people by writing the total size when loading!

Another small tip is to make 2 load bars, and let 1 show the total download, and let the other show the loading broken down in steps like 'now loading character-graphics'...somehow it gives the impression that something is happening, and makes it seem a bit faster
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Another nice feature would be some kind of graphical indication that you've hit the opponent! Like in comic books with the stars in red and yellow, and BOOM-CRUNCH-KAPOW...just something like miniexplosions, and small mechanical parts going through the air of course Right now it's only the sound...and sometimes the characters that hints you that something has happened!

Still looks really good
    Last edited by phreax; 04-07-2003 at 08:26 AM.

MOD wannabe

---

Thanks guys... i think you guys give me a idea...

First, i'll check with this appz of Erain. If i can lower my fat, i'm ready to pay...

Phreax... My preloader method doesn't alow me this 2 loading bars technique. BUT... telling the user what is currently loading and telling the total file size is a great idea. Which make me think that maybe i can still start the game while level 2 and up are still loading. This way the user could play while it still load. That could save up to 1/4 of the loading time according to a fast calcuation...

Thanks guys... Really apreciate.. Will put you in my credits...

Any other idea ?? Or maybe critics ??

*Whispers*I don't care if you cheat on the load-bar...you could just make one for show, that says:
    NOW LOADING:
    sounds
    characters
    menus
    ...and stuff like that *WINK,WINK*

MOD wannabe
    LOL... you found my secret don't you? You know that there is no coding in this preloader don't you? Haaaaa... there i am, busted. I love the idea and already thought of something that should at least look-like...

Thx Phreax

i dont like the name magninja, when i first saw it i thought it said mangina, heh, i love that word

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Doesn't seem like a good name to me. At LEAST make it "Mag-Ninja".

MOD wannabe
    I thought Magninja was cool. At least it was not anther "cliché" like metal kombat or Death Metal. I want something out of the ordinary... but anyway, let's just say that it is still a temporary title. The title is not my concerns right now. File size and levels are... But thanks for the advise. It's all taken seriously.

wow, cool game! the music really gave it a mortal kombat feel. however it kept freezing the opera browser - opera sucks MAJOR ass when it comes to flash, so i had to run it with IE, which sucks too. change the name, it does sound a lot like mangina!

More moves, please . With a few more moves, and some method of blocking/dodging/countering, this game would be so much more fun. Maybe a couple more getting hit animations too.

MOD wannabe
    Thanks fospher.com! One first message of hope. PPL are rude around here. Espcially for game titles . I'll have to make some test with Opera myself but i've noticed that playing the game while the Flashkit forum is open (with this freaking big Jupiter Plug-in Flash Banner on top) the game really get choppy.

As for the title guys... could you all wait??? I'll take care of this vagina thing later ()... right now i'm on technical issues. Or maybe you can add your suggestions...

Thx to you all....

do you have one mc for the opponent AND the player?

MOD wannabe

exactly!!

You've just enter the heart of my coding. There is an MC for the player and an other for the opponent. There talking to each other by Tell targets. This way i can use one player MC for multiple opponent.

There is even a robotized player in the credits. So what your looking at is 2 MC telling targets to each other. The robotized player is a copy of the player MC only i replaced the (on mouse event) by (If randoms)

i'm not sure about this but couldn't you just have one mc that is bot the player and the opponent. that way both have the same moves. you can still distinguish one from the other by using setTransForm() or setRGB() to change the colors of the opponent. wouldn't this considerably reduce the bandwidth?

MOD wannabe
    Not a bad idea. I could do this at least for 2 or 3 opponent.... yeahh... not a bad idea...

In fact, version 0.0099545 had only one opponent and their fighting skills and force was getting better and better from level to level. Only, some ppl said that several different opponent would be better. So i followed their critics. To tell you the truth, it was supposed to be a cute little 5 minutes game with only one level to be sent by email... but the project took a new level once i was in it.

But the idea of changing the color of my MC is a great idea. This way i could at least make a few more opponent... free (of bandwidth)... thx buddy!!!