A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Doom tunnel/maze game

Doom tunnel/maze game

Here's your chance to get involved in the development of the tiles game into a generic maze/tunnels game a.k.a. DOOM

There are a number of areas which could use some help
    1. General definition of what such games require as actions/events
    2. Creation of players sprites
    3. Creation of walls/maze textures
    4. Actionscript programming
    5. any other areas...

I enclose a sample of a new background which is a simple paint object (requiring only 10% overhead compared to using gifs), the image is one of 21 such images (so far) there being 4 images required for each level of depth when viewing backwards towards the horizon,

i.e. for each row of the maze when viewed in 3D there needs to be four
    images.
    Left.n a left exit tunnel
    Right.n a right exit tunnel
    Tee.n both left and right tunnel exits
    Wall.n a plain wall (no further tunnel in the viewers direction)
    where n is the current depth of perspective.

Remember, I would like to develop this to be able to encompass almost any style of game so consider Dilbert, Doom, Pacman. Submarine, Warship, SpaceInvaders etc etc as the possible game scenario.

So for Space Invaders the tunnels/maze could be quadrants with asteroids/enemy ships in the "room" or quadrant whereas in Dilbert/Doom it could be real rooms containing objects

I think I know how I am going to navigate through the maze and it will have the ability to see a Plan view as well as the 3D orthogonal view but this 3dfa topic is the place where you can add your opinions now before it gets any further.

Color schemes, and desigin opinions please...

Original topic is http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=440525

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by carnwath; 04-08-2003 at 05:10 PM.

i can help with

i can help with a llittle of just about every thing
    where the hell am i dame i think im lost!!!!

I'm a longtime 3dfa user, but still stumbling around.

I can help with the textures & animations, baddies etc.

do you want the first person view to be of the forearms & weapon, as in the doom series?

I'm curious to see how far this thing can go. it would really test the abilities of 3dfa in game presentation.

project

Thanks guys. I really dont think there is a 3dfa limitation here, just a matter of getting the coding right.

So to each of you I will say, tell me what you have in the following.

1. I have seen the brickwork textures in ..library/images/textures/ but what about the same brickwork skewed at a receding angle away from the viewpoint. I know the sheer-objectbutton slants the texture but it also slants the vertical edges of the bricks which is incorrect. Any samples of slanted walls?

2. Animated warriors. Anyone got 3d motion/rotation of limbs and turning the body 360 degrees and how would you command it.
    i.e. what would be nice is a body with a set of subroutines in javascript which could be passed parameters. Thats probably too much but I'd like to see ANY samples you have.

I will make this a fully open source project. All versions to be published here - lets keep it in 3dfa.

I am starting the gif-less version now using paint objects with gradients since they look good as walls and will post it within the day.
    see version with gifs... http://www.magicities.com/hot-trix/tunnels.swf
    version with paint objects... http://www.magicities.com/hot-trix/n...olorscheme.swf which is currently one image only, no movement.

hates sounds in preloaders.
    Fun, fun.
    Are we talking about the beta or 3.72?

Joel
    hurg.

maps and stuff

I am using v3.72 for this development until v4 is released. I dont think there will be any serious problem in conversion.

99% of the effort is in javascript which seems to be stable in v3.72/v4 so other than the paint images (again stable) I dont see any unexpected problems.

If a new feature of v4 is relevant (e.g. using XML external files for maps of terrain/tunnels) then that can easily be incorporated.

I was thinking about the maps last night and I think the value of the path/wall should change from 1/0 to 0/1 so that I can do this...

0 = path
    1 = wall
    2 = convex corner
    3 = concave corner
    4 = alcove
    etc etc
    Again think of Doom /Battleships etc where there may be benefit in mapping terrain

5 = window (into another room !)
    6 = hill
    7 = ???

None of this is settled yet so please let me hear any off the wall thoughts you have now...
    Last edited by carnwath; 04-09-2003 at 02:01 PM.

I want to help also!!!

cam u please place the source of what u did here:
    http://www.magicities.com/hot-trix/tunnels.swf
    (very nice by the way) on this forum???
    I think it is a great ideea and I want in also!!!!
    OnamiRo

tunnels.zip

OnamiRo, its here http://www.magicities.com/hot-trix/nojunk/tunnel.zip

but if you care to return here in about 5 hours, I hope to have replaced it with a full color 4-axes walkabout version so you can walk the Halls of Dilbert in style.

Addendum: Not ready for prime time yet. The images are taking longer to draw and the code to walk is not correct so it will be a day or so before its ready.

need images like this (in the gallery at FlashKit)

with a view different views of each character
    Last edited by carnwath; 05-03-2003 at 07:30 PM.

Looks like you got the characters off of the animated film Titan A.E. Cool movie, btw.

ups!

the link posted was not available!!!!
    anyhow I am in the middle of my college exams and I have no time to catch my breath!!!

sorry I can not help with more!!!!
    not now anyway!!!
    OnamiRo

Morgon9r,

The images are in the Flashkit image libray on this website. I don't know where they came from except

http:-//www-flashkit-com/gallery/Cartoons/Anime/AE_drawi-Starr_Al-3119/AE_drawi-Starr_Al-3119.jpg