A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: simple push button

simple push button

I am on my final assignment before this semester ends. I would like to know if anyone can help me here as I just need a simple push button to provide a potential user the option to skip the movie and go to the main page of the site instead. I have tried some things but I can't seem to get them to work. I would appreciate help on this.
    collateral_damage

Simple Method

If your using FLASH 5 (should work in 4 as well)... haven't touched 6 yet so if your using 6 none of this may work =)

First off you have to make a button. If you know how to do this skip ahead.

1) Create your button graphic using the flash graphic and text tools... or import and image. If your importing an image create the rollover (and if you want a down) state and import that as well.

2) After you have your button graphics select them all and hit F8. This will bring up the Symbole diloage box. Click the radio button labled "Button" as your behavior. Name it if you want.

3) Double click on your button to open it's time line. Notice their are only 4 frames. Move your rollover state to the second frame labled "over".. (if you have a down state "pressed state" place that in the frame labled "down", frame 3). The last frame is the "Hit" frame you can paste your orginal "Up" state graphic in here.

NOTE: Hit is the area the mouse can be in to activate the button... this is never visible to the enduser.

Ok now you have a button... now to script it.

1) Click "Scene 1" or whatever scene you are on to go back to the top level of the movie. Click ONCE on the button and select "Actions" from the "Window" menu (WINDOW >> ACTIONS). This will open an "Object Actions" pannel.

2) In the upper left of the Object Actions pannel there is a "+" button. Click that and select "Get URL" from the "Basic Actions" drop down menu (BASIC ACTIONS >> GET URL). Script should pop into the white scripting area and look like this:

on (release) {
    getURL ("");
    }

3) In the gray area below the scripting area there is a text box labled "URL:" type in the url (web address) you want the page to skip to instead of playing the intro. If you want the page to load in a new window or in a frame select the approriate location from the "Window:" drop down or type in the name of the frame.

Viola! Your done.

Sorry for the spelling errors... if this is totally not what your after let me know where I miss read you and I'll try again.
    Last edited by GooseBump; 04-09-2003 at 07:53 PM.

push buttons

Thanks for your reply GooseBumb. I use Flash MX (v6)but I tried your suggestions to the letter. I finally got it to work in a sense. The whole surprise was when I played the movie it instantly went to the URL. Now the problem is how to prevent that so it can be done with a manual click of the mouse.
    collateral_damage

simple push button

GooseBump:

I finally figured out how to get that simple button done and operational. Thanks a bunch....you got me started off in the right direction. My problem was soooo simple...I forgot to click on the button just before scripting it
    collateral_damage