A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you buy a boy with no arms?

What do you buy a boy with no arms?

Well according to the evening news today, the boy from iraq who lost his arms and has extreme burns on his body has been given...

wait for it...

A playstation.

Now come on. Am I the only person here that thinks this is an amazingly stupid idea?

I really hope sony didn't donate the playstation after their earlier gaff this week on the whole "shock and awe" thing...

That is depressingly stupid.

Not quite as bad as Kyra's interview with his doctor on CNN:
    -----
    kYRA PHILLIPS: Doctor -- what has he been saying to you, Doctor? Is he asking anything of you? Is he thanking you? Is he wanting to know about family? Tell us what this little boy has been saying to you.

AL-NAJADA: Actually, today he was in good condition after the operation and started speaking with a journalist and answering all their questions. The thing which he was -- they asking about -- the journalists, especially the broadcasting, what the message he wants to reflect from the war. He said, first of all, thank you for the attention they're giving to him, but he hopes nobody from thechildren in the war they will suffer like what he suffer.

KYRA PHILLIPS: Does he understand why...

AL-NAJADA: Kyra.

KYRA PHILLIPS: Doctor, does he understand why this war took place? Has he talked about Operation Iraqi Freedom and the meaning? Does he understand it?

AL-NAJADA: Actually, we don't discuss this issue with him because he is -- the burn cases, and the type of injury, he's in very bad psychological trauma. We would like to pass this stage and then we can discuss this issue. But we discussed this issue with his uncle, and the message we get from his family, they said they are living far away from the American troops -- from the military of Saddam of Fedayeen by five kilometers, and they don't know how they hit them by the missiles.
    -----

all time low for CNN with this one

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Originally posted by Aria
    all time low for CNN with this one

a
    And they had to dig pretty low to get to that point.

[edited for content by me. -CNO]
    Last edited by CNO; 04-17-2003 at 03:57 PM.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    All the news on tv about the boy is a bit annoying.

god, how depressing.

For anyone that looks past this single media cause celebre 11 iraqi kids have been flown to england for treatment since this war began, and I'm sure other countries haver taken cases too.

Did Tom Brokaw really say that?

Originally posted by Visionray
    Did Tom Brokaw really say that?
    No. It was a poor attempt at sarcasm and pointed social commentary (which everyone knows does not convey well via the web). I removed it to avoid irate members and detracting from this thread.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Good God, I can only hope that the person who decided to give this 'gift' ordered it on line, with a text-only browser, having heard on the radio that PS was all the rage and kids love 'em.

If this gift giver's story fails to meet one, just a single one of the above criteria, I really hope they consider volunteering for mine removal detail, because surely they will die from embarrassment anyway.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

well...its a pretty thick idea from sony, but surely, i can try to justify the cause once again. i was watching tv once, only to find ripley's believe it or not with a woman with no arms sawing socks for her kids. now if you can put a thread thru a needle, pushing buttons can be learned in time...

Originally posted by aversion
    god, how depressing.

For anyone that looks past this single media cause celebre 11 iraqi kids have been flown to england for treatment since this war began, and I'm sure other countries haver taken cases too.
    <rant>Yup... I'm sure many more iraqi children have been killed outright... etc...etc... but the media seems to be all on this, looks like a few more days and we'll be back to normal news, rather than this miopic sappy crap </rant>

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by fospher.com
    well...its a pretty thick idea from sony, but surely, i can try to justify the cause once again. i was watching tv once, only to find ripley's believe it or not with a woman with no arms sawing socks for her kids. now if you can put a thread thru a needle, pushing buttons can be learned in time...

yah,
    and we have a bloke living around here who was one of the thalidomide kids, born with no arms....he is a farmer (who drives his tractor with his feet), he is also a musician and sound guy who actually works a mixing desk in a local sound recording studio.

.....but still a stupid and thoughtless gift that seems to be more about self promotion than concern for the child's well-being and future.....why didn't they give him a scholorship to some university instead of some ****ty little games console he can't use.

Next we will probably hear of a gift from Nike of top-of-the-range runners.... for someone who lost their legs to a landmine.

david p.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Originally posted by fospher.com
    I did think of that... but there is no way you could use a PS2 controller with your feet! How would you reach the tope buttons? It just won't happen...

<Tries to not sound sarcastic>Maybe they got him the dance mat.</Tries to not sound sarcastic>

I don't get it? What does the media hope to gain by propping up this poor youngster as the Iraqi war poster child? Do they intend to do the same for each of the children affected by the action? Will they all get a Playstation?

Whatever your viewpoint on the war, then or now, this boy's infamy does nothing but debase what relative good a person can percieve coming from this military action.

Talk about mixed messages. Almost 'hey, we won the war, but unfortuntately, I crapped my pants as well'.

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    I don't get it? What does the media hope to gain by propping up this poor youngster as the Iraqi war poster child?
    The media has always done this hurricaneone. Whether it's a captured female PoW or a civilian casualty. Ali is the poster boy of this conflict.

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

But why bother?

Helping the child without announcing it to the world is the samaritan act, not asking the world to view and judge your supposedly selfless acts.

Again, the media presents the child to what end? Surely a viewer cannot help but come to a conclusion of 'Look at what our armies did to these poor people', but the media wants to undermine the military action because maybe...

the viewer ratings of events in Iraq were too high? Or maybe they didn't make enough cash as the price of a 30 second spot went through the roof?

did the playstation come with prosthetic arms?

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Does anyone know where I can read an article about that armless kid getting a playstation?
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

It wasn't an article (as far as I know). Sky News was interviewing a Doctor/spokes person from the hospital thats treating the boy, while talking about his skin graphs he mentioned that the boy had "been given a playstation today" and was "very happy".

Didn't say who it was donated by either.

Still seems like a strange gift to me!

If I see/hear anything more I'll post it.

Mark

definately a silly gift.

There is no electricity in Iraq anyway. :/

The offering of free operation, the trip of lifetime, sponsorship or something would have been a lot more appropriate.

hurricaneone & Aria -- I agree... I have not heard anything more about Ali or the other kids anymore since THAT article about Ali. :/