A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Any Advice For Going Freelance??

Piss Artist

Any Advice For Going Freelance??

Hey,

working for a dumbarse company full of 'office types' is getting to me and i'm pondering with the idea of telling them where to go and take up the freelance game.
    But i haven't got a clue about it , so if any of you guys have any handy tips or know of any sites/communities that might help someone who is considering going freelance in the UK then i would really appreciate it.
    Also if anyone has already taken the step and gone freelance and has good or bad stories about the experience then i would love to hear about it.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Take a few months to prepare everything. Start doing freelance work apart from your fulltime job. That way you slowly start building a client base, and you can see if its gonna be financially worthwhile in the longrun. In addition if you don't have certain skills form alliances with people you trust. The more people you are the more likely you're are to land a bigger job.

Also have a look at Nocrapchurch's contract. He posted a link to it in the boardroom.

Good luck
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Piss Artist
    thanks for that, I'll check it out

Piss Artist
    what, thats it? no-one else has any experience of going/being freelance??

I would just go thru the Boardroom and search there is a ton of great information in here.. alot of it repeated over and over. Like Napalm suggestion go to NoCrapChurch's website.. loads of good information there.

The Minister of No Crap

I've got several tips I would suggest for you:

Client Tip #1: Always have a contract
    Client Tip #2: Always get a down payment
    Client Tip #3: Save ALL correspondence
    Client Tip #4: Stay in touch
    Client Tip #5: Assign a Single Point of Contact

I would also suggest that you look into getting some business document templates. Template Kit offers a ton of them for really cheap.

Here are some places to look for work:
    Freelance Job Forums (Started by Flash Kit members)
    coroflot
    Ultrashock Freelance Forum
    FlashDevils Job Forum
    Smarterwork
    FreeAgent.com
    Guru
    elance
    WebProsNOW

And don't forget to watch out for the scams.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Scott

whoa - that post of yours is worth a million, scott. i put this thread in my favourites just cause of it - great info.

Piss Artist
    Yeah, thanks alot for taking the time to put in all that info, much appreciated.

I would start collecting clients while you still have a job like Napalm said because it takes a while to build enough of a client base to pay the bills. Who knows how well you will be at selling your services. It would also be great to get your process in line. Dealing with clients requires its own set of skills.

I was in a similar situation to yourself.

So I started building up a client base in my own time after work with the aim to starting u on my own. This process took me about 4 months.

I sacrificed a lot of my personal time and worked almost all my weekends. Spent a lot of time asking people questions and found out there are loads of people who will help (especially on this site).

STARTING UP
    Crunch time came in March. I handed in my notice and went for it. After crapped my pants for a while and worried about not having enough work I calmed down and carried on doing some quality work for people. I also got an accountant straight away so I ws clear with all my money situations.

CLIENTS
    I have been really lucky. I've only been going a month and had some great clients who want websites and also a lot of printed stuff too. Also the people who I do work for me have paid straight away. I hope this continues. One client went into administration though and owes me quite a bit of money. So always be cautious.

FREELANCE AGENCIES
    I registered with a freelance agency who would find work for me, but i've been too busy to use them, which I suppose is a good thing.

Hope that was some help. I really enjoy working for myself. It does get a bit lonely and you have to motivate yourself every day, but its worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chris Green
    http://www.breadlegs.com

Piss Artist
    Thanks for that, its given me something to think about. I think I will have trouble making contacts at the minute really, the trouble with this job at the minute is that my only client is the company I work for, all the work is internal , one of the main reasons for looking at an alternative is to get a wider variety of work.

Breadlegs, just curious but where are you based?

Originally posted by dazza3
    Breadlegs, just curious but where are you based?
    I'm based near Birmingham in the Midlands. How about you?

If I can be of any help, drop me an email.

Chris Green
    chris@breadlegs.com
    http://www.breadlegs.com

Piss Artist
    Hampshire.

I was just wondering because you say you have alot of work on, so it seems the market has picked up then, is it mostly print or is there alot of web work about?

check your mail breadlegs