A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: people stealing games again

people stealing games again

guys,

has anyone ever had any trouble with what appears to be a spanish compnay that goes under the names of area29.com and canal96.tv, they've nicked my game Zaphod and Aztec, as in they've actually grabbed the bloody swf from my server not even just simple link stealing, any advice?

Chris

mail them and their server people and tell 'em to take it down. that is if you want them to take it down.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

When I put a game at the internet, it has to be clear that it's my game. Some suggestions:

- Make an intro, which introduces your name (or the name of your company)
    - In the mainmenu, add the text "Game by NAME, check my website www.NAME.com" or something like that. If the use your game, it'll only promote you or your company

Use that protect file I put up awhile ago.

yeah just use d and j's file. btw its VERY easy to get a swf from the internet!

what u can do to protect your game is make a easter egg code inside it, which will be executed onl if u follow a certail seqquence of steps, and only which the programmer ( YOU! ) of the game could know!

a very simple example of this would be: if u press 'a' then 'A' and then click anywhere on the movie 3 times your name will appear...

India,New Delhi

Originally posted by sunmillennium
    what u can do to protect your game is make a easter egg code inside it, which will be executed onl if u follow a certail seqquence of steps, and only which the programmer ( YOU! ) of the game could know!

a very simple example of this would be: if u press 'a' then 'A' and then click anywhere on the movie 3 times your name will appear...
    HAHA! nice idea lets see them explain that!

try to use a code like this in your games :
    Code:
    my_site = "http://www.mysite.com";
    check = _url;
    if(check == my_site){
     gotoAndStop("start_game");
    } else {
     gotoAndStop("NOWAY");
    }

somebody stole your game?

somebody stole your game? Scary!

I was thinking that good way to protect your game would be to write a server script that your swf would call. The script would make a file in the directory of the swf with a random name and write some acknowledgement text into it, then send back the name of the file to the swf. The swf in turn would then try to open it and if it does and reads the acknowledgement text then sends it to the script again to delete that file. It could take long for this process to complete, but a user would have a hard time hacking it since the name of the file is randomly generated. So this would ensure against your movie being stolen.

I'm in a little different position. I want as many sites as possible to link to my games.

However, I do also want my games to be only hosted by my server, so I use a little bit of PHP to serve up a an ad in my games. The ad itself is just a swf file that contains the code necessary to let my game be played.

I'm sure someone could use a Flash decompiler and take all the code out, but for the most part it works pretty well.

And in the reasonablly near future, I actually plan on paying sites for having my games linked, there will be no reason for anyone to not want to use my games, my way.

borngamer

Here's D and J's file, I downloaded it a while ago:
    Attached Files Attached Files

you shouldnt be surprised that people are stealing your games. I think I've had like every one of my animations/games especially stolen and put on geocities/aol homepage websites without permission or even an email. I didnt bother hunting them all down...and besides when all of them combine - they bring traffic. If you're not marketing the game, you shouldnt worry about that kind of stuff too much.

...but then again, its up to you

Originally posted by vont
    try to use a code like this in your games :
    Code:
    my_site = "http://www.mysite.com";
    check = _url;
    if(check == my_site){
     gotoAndStop("start_game");
    } else {
     gotoAndStop("NOWAY");
    }
    i can punk this method by copying the SWf from ur website, pasting it in my localhost folder, and then modifying the HOSTS and LMHOSTS file in the windows directory with an entry of ur domain name of the form http://www.yourdomainname.com 127.0.0.1

now i can run in the SWF in the browser...

India,New Delhi

I now, how to protect ActionScript code. Neither ASV4, nor Flasm couldn't deprotect my code - only one way is reading flash bytecodes for manual decoding.

Mail me to ilya_cat@mail.ru , if you want to consult with me.

Excuse for my bad English.
    Ilya Shlyakhovoy
    www.as-protect.com

For more secure protection of your swf's try using mine or tonypa's codes posted from the 5th page and onwards in this thread : http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=470035

Also I would think that Flasm would be a very good protection against decompilers. But you have to actually optimize the flasm code and then recompile it, rather than just compile the decompiled flasm code right away.

Originally posted by sunmillennium
    i can punk this method by copying the SWf from ur website, pasting it in my localhost folder, and then modifying the HOSTS and LMHOSTS file in the windows directory with an entry of ur domain name of the form http://www.yourdomainname.com 127.0.0.1

now i can run in the SWF in the browser...

yeah, but that was the old version .. check out Tonypa's and Kirill M.'s NEW way of protection .. based on this old version .. I wonder, will you be able to crack thiers using your method !
    Tmp.
    I just want my old account back, please !!

But even if he is able to crack it using that method, he'd be the only one able to play it. And that doesn't worry me as much as him taking it and putting it on his site as his own.