A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: DVD menus with Flash?

DVD menus with Flash?

hello everyone.. just about to get into the DVD creation business and I was thinking that since I am already good with Flash, i'd like to carry it over to the DVD side of things... is there any way to use Flash to create the menus for DVDs? any help on this or any other ways that flash can enhance DVDs would be appreciate.

Amy.

The Minister of No Crap

Amy,

There sure is. The only problem is that I don't think there is any documentation about this online. I read a book called Flash: The Future that had a pretty extensive chapter on the subject. That would be my best advice for you.

Good luck.

Scott

thanks. i've heard of this book when i've been searching online.

what part of philly are you from?

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by thekeenone
    what part of philly are you from?
    I actually live seven miles West in the Lansdowne/Upper Darby area. Why do you ask?

Scott

i live in south philly, just making conversation

Grew up there myself. Go Philly!

Read Scott's review of the Flash:The Future....I have ventured into the formidible world of combining Flash with video...broadcast video commercials for real live clients...I gotta tell ya, it has NOT been easy finding information on the "how to's"...after LOTS of trial and error, I finally got it right, sorta. There are tons of issues to deal with when combining rectangular pixel programs (video display) with square pixel programs (computer display) not in the least is broadcast safe colors. At any rate, good luck on you DVD projects...I like to hear more as you progress..
    David Bird

if u create ur flash piece at 720x534 then render out frames from file:export movie, i believe, then select png. make sure u use interlace for optimal playblack later. then take ur sequence into something like after effects. scale it to the dvd spec of 720 by 480 and that should reslove the square to .9 pixel aspect ratio u have with computers to tv. make sure u sepparate fields when u bring it into after effects under interpret footage. to tell u the truth u might want to experiment with rendering fields from flash it might not be the best thing since ur gona be scaling, but it might be better. then for the menu just render out some stills of just the nav elements, photoshop them and create ur btn tracks. hope this helps some.

david.
    david@realeyesmedia.com

Philly Rocks

For those of you who agree with me that Philly rocks, come out to the Philadelphia Flash Macromedia User Group. The website is: http://www.philaflashmmug.com/philaf...core/index.php

Unfortunately, I have little to lend to the real topic of this thread except to say that I saw a speech at the Flash Forward 2002 conference that suggested to use Director to output your Flash presentations to television standards. I know both Director and Flash, but the speaker did lose me a couple of times during the speech, so I am not sure entirely, but I think his basic point was that the export through Director would export all the movie clip animations you speced out in your Flash piece.

Todd Coulson
    Haley Productions
    Media,PA
    Todd R. Coulson
    Haley Productions
    www.haleypro.com