A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: java or flash

java or flash

Im wanting to create a massive online community.

After reading and all I have started working on the java language, (not hard at all, since I know action really well) but the thing is after I read and thought about it, what would you write a massive online avatar chat community in, flash or java? Like which would you say would be faster. Im already working on the socket server in java (so I won't have to keep paying massive amounts of money just to expand to other servers).

So flash or Java?

Cedric

I would say flash, the things you can do with it are amazing, but then again I havn't ever really used java for anything.

-Tim

My friend billy ate his own chin!

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Well, depends on how good you are! You can do all that Flash can do in Java but it takes waaaaay more to do it! Flash is the easy way out! ...I would choose Flash
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

i have to agree,

but what about speed? Flash Player or Java?

With the changes to Java over the last couple of years, I would say it offers much more than Flash does. However, the biggest drawback to Java is the size of the client you need to download.

Personally, I think many users (especially dial up users) would just move on rather than download a 10MB client to play your games. If you want some feedback on what Java can do, check out javagaming.org

However, my personal opinion is that Flash still controls the online game market simply because of it's small client.

borngamer

Note your prolly getting a little bit biased opinion asking this on a flash forum

Nugget

PS Im all for flash

Flash!

Well, you can play runescape with java client. You cant play it from Flash. So its much about how simple/tricky stuff you plan to create.

Limehouse, Ontario - Never heard of it? Not surprised.
    I think we need more project details before deciding.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.

You can play OgreIsland with a flash client

Like which would you say would be faster.
    Simply put, Java. The Flash player is just slooooow. It actually may take you more time using Actionscript than Java in the long haul because you'd need to optimize your code, organize it etc. so that it would run fast enough.

But Flash has its advantages over Java, mainly the file size. Just depends on how complex your project will be I suppose.

Director would be good,too, I dont know if you know Lingo that well.
    Eh, probably not.

actually,

I have director MX, just haven't got around to really digging deep into lingo.

My thing is I know actionscript REAL well, and Im knocking out java each day (java and actionscript are extremely alike in many ways)

Thing is, what to write the software in.

Im already writing the socket server in java (either way, it will be used in the flash client as well as in java if i decide to write to client in java)

The project will be a massive online community similar to ***** Chat, or (more popular) Sims Online. We have the budget as well as the licensed software (lightwave for graphics, photoshop, psp, flash MX and so on and so on)

So now im deciding on what language should I use. Ive seen some amazing stuff in flash, and that is why im bent on flash, I know it and I can get real into the design of flash. BUT, Ive seen so many post complaining the player is soooo slow, and with it being a massive online avatar chat software with some mp games, will the flash player keep up speed wise?

Cedric

You spent $1,200 on software you never used?!

Anyway, if you plan to do something like ***** Hotel, Java would probably be a better choice. Mainly if you hope to have many users. I don't think Flash is capable of dealing with several clients connecting and relaying data all at once. But I could easily be wrong. I suppose ***** Hotel could be done in Flash, its your decision. But with Java you can just download the code you need and add it to your program.

Something like Sims Online should definetly be done with Java. Java is more capable of 3D and multiple client functionality. Plus, you download the code and just put it in your program. Java is open source and free to use. I suggest Java all the way.

But hey, it's your project.

Yeah, I did purchase director recently

I do use it, but I just said I didn't have a chance to get down and dirty with lingo as I want to right now.

Thats also what I was thinking, but now Im looking at orge island and its Really nice, Of course I would add better graphics but Im def. looking into java as well.

Cedric