A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FLA file - do you give it to the client?

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar

FLA file - do you give it to the client?

Hi FK'rs,

I need to know if once a project is completed,
    - Do you send the client both FLA and SWF files?
    - or only the SWF file, then the FLA if it is requested?

also...do you charge for the FLA separately?
    Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tigran.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I personally would give the source as a courtesy to your customer. I just think it's a good faith thing that in my opinion will enhance your reputation as a person who keeps the clients interest first and foremost. I would let them know that many people charge extra for source code, but you have their interest in mind.

I hate giving the client the fla files, but I am forced to by my boss

i entirely agree with serpent.

it's so much better in the long run for the client to have your flas and not know what the hell to do with them, thus calling you back, then them having the flas, knowing they had to fight tooth and nail to get them, and then never call you back.

a lot of contracts i've been seeing lately explicitly state that everything produced by the consultant remains the property of the company...no big shock there if you ask me...

if you dont, you get an email every week asking to change little things. Always give it to them.

do we get the source code from macromedia when we buy flash so we can make changes?? same type thing here, imho.

i usually give the client the fla's but you need to either state you will or will not in the contract. not giving them is better than not saying anything about it until at the end the client says "now give me the fla's" and you dont want to. Client should know what they're paying for upfront.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

The Minister of No Crap

Well I actually disagree with many of the posters here. I think unless the contract (you do have a contract, right?) specifically states that the client keeps all source files, the FLAs are mine.

Think about the last time you did work for someplace. There is a section in their contract protecting their "Confidential Information." This can be client lists, supplier lists, customer files, billing files and the like, but it can also mean "business secrets" like their business methods, sales techniques, and intellectual property. I've worked at financial companies that had developed special financial formulas which were considered business secrets too. That's why many financial websites make *sure* all of their calculations are done server-side, so that they can't be reverse-engineered.

Now think about your own business secrets. I don't know about you, but my business secrets include special techniques that I use in my flash development. Chances are, if you're like me, these secrets are stored in the FLA. Giving away your source files is the same for you as if the company was giving away their own business secrets for you to use from then on.

In other words, don't think of your FLAs as physical property that might or might not be transferred with the work -- think of your FLAs as intellectual property.

And no offense Scott, but this is why photographs/negatives aren't a good analogy. A better one would be if your photographer had a custom camera, or maybe just a custom lens, and you were asking for that too.

Here are some other reasons:
    • Once they have your source, they could hire any high school kid with a basic understanding of Flash to edit your work at minimum wage. They could be paying you to do that.
    • Similar to the above -- making a client dependant on you for changes means repeat business and return customers. Both of which are invaluable to cash flow. Just make sure it's clear that change orders are billed hourly, so that all those phone calls for changes aren't just wasting your time.
    • In theory (and in cases where their lawyers are bigger than yours) once you give ownership of your source files to a company, it now contains their business secrets, which you may or may not be able to use again!
    • If a company knows that you have the source files, and that you are the only one that is able to make changes, then they are much more likely to pay you. It is much easier for deceitful companies to take your work and run if they know they won't be dependent on you later.

Just some ideas.
    For War's a banker, flesh his gold. There by the furnace of Troy's field, Where thrust meets thrust, he sits to hold His scale, and watch the spear-point sway; And back to waiting homes he sends Slag from the ore, a little dust To drain hot tears from hearts of friends

- Aeschylus, Agamemnon

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by alty29
    if you dont, you get an email every week asking to change little things.
    You'll probably get these anyway - though that should be covered by your contract, not whether you hand over source files.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

i made it easy.

swf = ..... $ project price
    fla = project price x 2

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    Great Feedback!
    thanks

Tigran

NO. Because alot of time my source contains things that would make me no longer need and share my secrets for FX and so on. However in some cases if its not anything special in the .fla no prob I will even mail it over night free of charge with instructions on how to make small mods.
    Last edited by JabezStone; 05-05-2003 at 09:11 AM.
    Who gives a flying Flip.