A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pre Loader for Stand Alone Player

Pre Loader for Stand Alone Player

I have been making a stand alone movie which is fairly graphics intensive and has lots of sound and transitions etc. This has made the file fairly sizable (around 100Mb), but as it is for a CD Rom and not for web, file size doesn't really matter - or so I thought!

I've been testing the file on various PC's and Macs and even though it's running from the CD, it seems to take ages to load - giving the impression that the computer has crashed! This is not really the desired result.

I've been experimenting with pre-loading files, but it doesn't really make any difference, if the pre-loader appears at all!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to get a pre-loader working?

Cheers.

Rob.

I would break your file into several different swfs -- possibly at the transitions you mentioned. Then load and unload them as needed. For example, you could start with an exe that will be running at level 0. Then use loadMovieNum to load swfs into and out of higher levels (or 0 if you want).

The projector itself (the .exe) has to be read into memory entirely before it will play. If you are using a 3rd party tool, nearly all will decompress/copy the files to a temp folder on the hard drive before execution.

The only way to make a preloader is to do what Huah suggested. If you want a preloader look, make the preloader the same dimensions as the movie, then use a basic animation (percentage/loader bars won't work). Use Load Movie to load the main (.swf) movie and let it stream from the CD.
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

Thanks for that, I'll look into making a small standalone player that will stream the main file into it.

Cheers

Rob.