A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CGI Expert Needed!!!

CGI Expert Needed!!!

I am a Flash /CGI Newbie and I was wondering if anybody out there could help me and point me in the right direction for learner tutorials on CGI, My server has a cgi/bin folder for the use of scripts but they do not support it , so i take it that this means that they are not ssi compatible, they have a windows server so do i need to use a particular type of script. All i want to do first is create a feedback form for my site which also has an auto response mail back to the sender.

thankx in advance

Acestu

Hi,

first of all the bad news: most cgi scripts around assume that they are running on a real server, and that there is some "sendmail" program taking care of sending mail. In fact, although mail software in a unix environment can vary widely, every mail system comes with a sendmail program that can be used from scripts in the same way.
    In plain text this means: if a script mentions /usr/lib/sendmail or /usr/sbin/sendmail, it will not work for you. Watch out for scripts that either open a socket connection to an smtp server (you will probably see "use socket" near the top of the file) or that use the MIME::Lite methods

Musicman

Thanks for help

thanks for your reply Musicman, after spending all last night on the net I came up with a mixture of info, I am running a mac G4 and using dreamweaver for my site, i was told different stories such as i need to put sendmail the programme and perl onto my cgi/bin folder and then just use a cgi script, but the complications seem to be that i am using a mac and somebody suggested that i needed perl 5 for the mac and also bbedit, i think i need to find a mac cgi users forum or something, any more info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Acestu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if at first you don't sucseed, and you have tried again, then try lots more times, till you are old probably.

Hi,

you mentionad a windoes server.
    Getting perl and sendmail for a mac should not be a problem (at least if it runs OSX), but do you want to run things on a real server or just try and learn on your own machine?

Musicman

More Info

Hi Musicman, My website is allready on a server and they boast 50 megs of windows 2000 space, when i uploaded my site i noticed that there was a cgi/bin folder so i went to there F.A.Q. page and it said i could use the folder for cgi scripts but it also said that they did not support it which i think means not ssi suported, i wondered what you meant when you said most cgi likes being on a real server, i hope this sheds some more light ...

cheers
    Acestu

Hi,

probably 90% of all available cgi mail scripts will only work on unix type server s (and those written specifically for the windows environment occasionally lose mails)

Musicman

First CGI Lesson

Hi Musicman,

In other words, confucus say "sign up to a descent familly type unix server boasting full cgi support before you try to learn cgi scripting grasshopper"

So, can i use anything else to achieve this such as php, javascript etc. , I don't know anything about them, but i am willing to learn !!!!

Thanks Again
    acestu

Hi,

you got that G4 ... maybe you should get OSX for it, install a local webserver, and do some experiments there. This gives you a huge advantage: most hosting companies do not give you raw logs these days but rather install a statistics tool. The raw error log is indispensible for serious scripting - you can add
    print STDERR "xyz\n";
    to your scripts everywhere and get the output in the error log, even if the script fails with an error 500. Also, you can simply run your scripts in perl to catch compilation errors.

From the point of view of sending mails, php is the better choice, because it makes a working mail configuration the admin's duty, where a cgi scripter has to find out which type of server is running, and a few other things, in order to get mails working.

Also, I feel that the "unsupported" from your host simply mens that they do not know anything about it, and hence can not help you with any problems

Musicman

Thanks Again

Hello Once Again Musicman,

I am running a G4 with 2 x drives and 2 OS Classic and OSX I have so much classic stuff that I haven't made the giant leat to Total OSX yet, I would be only to pleased to do what you recomended and run a server software on this mac, could you recomend the software for doing this as i have not got a clue....

Thanks Again

Acestu

Hi,

as far as I know, apache, perl, php even come on your system cdrom. If you do not get other responses from mac users, maybe get in touch with psychlonex from the flashcomm forum

Musicman

Thanx Once again

Hi Musicman, i bet your fed up with me mithering, anyway thanx for the info, i will go and start my Quest

cheers
    Acestu