A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The Code: Client wants. What to do?

The Code: Client wants. What to do?

Ok, I searched for past threads on this.. but was not sucessful. At any rate, I am hung up on making a decision on this and was just wondering how everyone else deals with this issue.

When we develop Flash interactive CD's, our clients get the finished product - no code. All of my clients (except for ONE) are ok with the way things are. In all honesty, the subject has never come up with them, because they don't care, really.

Now about that ONE client... they want custom Flash/Actionscript, and also want the code. YIKES!

The way I see it is.... it is like we are chefs. We make a great cheesecake and someone comes in and orders it. They ask for the recipe...

We say, "I'm sorry, but this is property of our restaraunt."
    They say, "But I paid you to make it for me. Plus, its not like you can't find a cheesecake recipe on the internet!"
    We say, "You paid me for my chef skills and time to make this cheesecake. And sure, you can find recipes for all sorts of cheesecakes on the internet, but this one is an original."
    "Ok, fine," They say. "How much would it cost to buy the recipe?"

H E L P!
    Any direction, stories, experience, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks to you all!

The cheesecake is sold to many other customers as well. Apart from that, the customer does not have the time/facility to make a cake even with a recipie. That's why the customer bought it in the first hand.
    Code for a site is quite unique, so the client cannot really sell the code just look at it and try to understand. Have you asked the client why he/she is interested in the code?
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Answer:

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Here's the answer to your question.

The client wants the code so they "feel free" to have another firm make chages if they so desire.

If you give it to them be sure to take out any comments (they should cost extra)
    – Jerry

Strange client but clients are the kings!
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    you should post this in the boardroom they helped me with my issue of wether to give the FLA to a client or not, its kind of like the same thing. Best advice is: Always make a contract stating if youll give the recipie with the cake or not.

just out of curiosity tigran but what job do you do?, i am a 17 year old student studying AVCE IT at a college in sheffield and i love computers, i want to go into one of two areas, game design, or web design any tips? ideas? thoughts? would be appreciated

cheers

James

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar

*thread hijacked

Hey Blayder, I am 17 too I am just a freelance designer...as for college Ill be there in september, cant give you any tips on that yet I would recomend programing tho

cheers, cud ya look at my post?

ty

ps where ya from?

also, how come you are a VIP member?

and only 17? :S lol nice one anyway

James