A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pixel Art feedback

Pixel Art feedback

Just looking for comments on the pixel art for my game, not much happening but I don't want to give too much away. All comments - Good/bad welcome before I get too much into it!!!

- RipX -

Looks very good, but I wouldn't call it pixel art

Olorin

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Perspective is way off Good style though
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Thanks - Yeah, I know what you meana bout it not being true pixel art, but it is in a sence! I am drawing it by hand using pixel art then filtering it with effects so it nearly is!?!?!

But the "artwork" anyway guys!!

RipX

Flash Developer on a break
    Very nice style.

Somehow it reminds me of Splinter Cell.. But that's probably just my twisted brain doing the work.

| "Keep Flashing!"-Jeroen
    PHP multiplayer? Check this thread: PHPgateway

Originally posted by phreax
    Perspective is way off Good style though
    Yeah - About the perspective - this has been seriously slowing me down so I was playing the SNES version of Zelda the other day and everyone loved that so I just thought sod it I'll do it like that!! I've had this thing at top view, isometric and the current way then I went back to isometric and now back to this view lol - I'm sticking with this view definatly now, Might do something with the walls later though!!! lol

RipX

it's a little flat, no real sense of depth, not sure whats going on with the lighting in the corner either. If this is for a tile based engine - how are you going to deal with the angles in the corners - it'll look a little odd if the objects are straight but the corners are with some degree of perspective

If you look at Zelda on the SNES the walls are done in the same way!! It's not perfect but a way to give some kind of depth sence, and doesn't look too bad when moving about but yes the sence of perspective it totally wrong but I have to comprimise somewhere!!

This is tile based!

You can see what I mean here:
    http://www.zeldauniverse.net/main.ph...=z3screenshots

RipX
    Last edited by RipX; 05-20-2003 at 06:11 AM.

hey ripx mate - yeh its kool!!! not very pixilartish but kool (u like that word??? i does) yeh the perspective on it is a bit wako but it looks pretty kool!!!

I've just mailed you and then I see this thread ( It's updated from my sneaky preview ).

There's no point me repeating everything in the mail here but on your updated version the shadows are in the wrong direction ( Looking at both the head board and the tiles your light source is from the top left ).

Still really nice looking though.

As to is it pixel art, yeah course it is. Pixel art doesn't have to appear blocky and running some filters over it doesn't distract from the fact it was drawn pixel by pixel. I can't see an issue with that at all.

Squize.

After a great email I got from Squize with loads of good comments, I've screwed with the lighting angles which were all over the place , much of this was because I had just been testing out some styles but none-the-less they needed fixing up so here are the results!!

Unfortunatly these have to be pretty generic to cut down on the number of tiles and one could say that there's no light source to cast those shaddows but hey - tough!

Anyway, Squize also pointed out something with the angles which I may or may not change due to the extra time in making the tiles, something about the depth so I may have a new pic (slightly modified) soon too!!??

RipX

very cool like the details. what kinda game is it for ??????
    extreme-limits. snowboard game comming soon!!!

www.crazynetwork.dk

Thanks, About the game - Well it's kinda secretive but it's not all that hard to work out the style from how it looks!! I don't want to go deep into the workings of the game!!

RipX

It looks quite Resident evil/Silent hill to me. I can't wait to play it

There's something else I've noticed (Sorry mate ), the walls don't cast a shadow on the floor tiles.

You may want to try it with each tile next to the wall being in shadow to see how that looks. The added darkness will help with the atmosphere plus sprites always look better on a darker background.

Anyway, just thinking aloud.

Squize

Nice stuff. You've got the Zelda perspective down to a "T". It was a bit difficult getting a handle on that myself, especially when you need to put a door at the bottom of the screen. I never liked how it handled that, felt as if you were falling through the door since your character never changes perspective.

Anyways, about your screen. The bed looks nice. Don't worry about the pixel art feel. You don't need it. Make things detailed like you've done. I recommend making the floor and walls a bit dirtier. You've done a great job with it on the bed but it feels out of place with the super clean walls and floor. Add some black grit where the floor meets the wall and etc.

Keep it up, it's looking good!
    -Digi Fuse-

Tekno Pro/Game dabbler
    Pretty sweet.. That for the stealth game?

:)

wow man that's good...

Here's a tip:
    http://www.telefragged.com/wally/

I've sayd it before a long time ago... this is a very good programm to make textures with... it's used for halflife and quake type off games... It also has sum tools to make blood and bullet holes in ya drawing...
    It's freewere so check it out

Wow - what great feedback very possitive and inspiring - Thanks to everyone pointing stuff out!

@ Squize - perfect - of cource I never thought about the wall shaddows - I updated it and it look much better !! (Keep em coming dude I like it!! lol

@ Digifuse - I've always had the idea to "dirty stuff up" so it will hapen as I go along - I'm just working on making things quite generic so that when they are re-used they're used to maximum effect!! But i'll get too it

@ SulphA - I'll check out the link in a bit, thanks

It looks great!!!
    The shadows are well done!

looks very "disturbing"

-Tim
    Last edited by Krow04; 05-20-2003 at 03:11 PM.

My friend billy ate his own chin!